5660 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Failed to clear Integrated Management Log

Thomas Olsen_1
Frequent Advisor

Failed to clear Integrated Management Log

Hi

I have a server giving me a failure on the IML. Since the server is functioning perfectly fine I would like to clear this log entries so the status should be OK.
However, I am not able to clear it. If I select one of the entries and click on "Mark selected items repaired", it still shows up in the list. I have also tried "Mark all items repaired" and "clear all IML entries", but with the same result.

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks.

/Thomas O
17 REPLIES 17
Michael Richter
Trusted Contributor

Re: Failed to clear Integrated Management Log

Hi Thomas,

may u can attach a screenshot from your iml!?
Are the items which arre marked as repaired also shows as repaired items?
lat quest.: which agent version is running?

there are 3 ways to clear the logs:
- IML Viewer
- HP Insight Diagnostic -> IML
- clear NVRAM

Cheers
Michael
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Thomas,
check you have READ/WRITE (or READ/CREATE) SNMP community string defined as well.
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor

Hi Thomas,

You need to add a community String with Read_Write access in the SNMP to be able to modify the IML from within SMH.

1 You could use Start>Programs>HP/Compaq System Tools>Compaq Integrated Management Log Viewer> LOG(in the menu at the top - Log)>Clear All Entries

2 Open SNMP Services goto Security Tab under Accepted Community String Click on Add -> Private (String Name) -> Read_Write(Rights).

Regards,
Raj.
Thomas Olsen_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Igor / Michael

Thank you both for your reply.

The version of IML I am running is v5.3.0.0 as part of Proliant Support Pack 7.50.

I am accessing the IML log from the System Management Homapage, under Logs. See attached screenshot of the log.

I have public and private SNMP community strings defined, but both are READ ONLY. If I change one/both to READ CREATE, I get an error in IML when trying to close any events. The error is "The set attempt failed. Performing sets requires that a community string with set access be present on the ssytem. Set must be enabled in the HP management agents."

From HP System Management Homepage, I also went to Settings\SNMP & Agent Settings and changed SNMP Sets to ENABLE.

The result is that I am still not able to clear any events in IML.

One thing to mention is that I have not rebooted the server after any of the above changes as this server is in production.
Thomas Olsen_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Rajashekar Chintakunta

I followed your procedure and cleared all events and changed rights for community private to READ WRITE, but I still get the same error when trying to clear events through the IML (through System Management Homepage / Log).

Do I need to restart the server for the changes to take effect?

Thanks.

/Thomas O
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

>>One thing to mention is that I have not rebooted the server after any of the above changes as this server is in production.

You need at least restart HP management agents. I typically do this operation with Control Panel->HP management agents->SNMP settings->Clear all thresholds
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor

Hi Thomas,

Restarting the server is not required.

But you could restart the SNMP, Other HP services and check if the issue gets resolved.

HP Services: HP Foundation sevice, HP SMH.

Does it give any error message when you attempt to clear the logs or just the screen refreshes without any change.

Regards,
Raj.
Thomas Olsen_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Raj

I restarted the services you suggested, but I still get the same error when selecting "Clear All IML Entries". See attached for the error.
My SNMP configuration is:
public = READ ONLY
private = READ WRITE
Accept SNMP packets from localhost only

Thanks.
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor

Hi Thomas,

Try upgrading the JVM and check if that helps.

Download FREE - Java Runtime Environment Version 5.0 Update 6

Visit the following site:

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/

Select Sun Microsystems under Java Runtime Solution and proceed to install the JVM.

or

http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_ie.jsp

And install the SW. It will install ActiveX component first than JVM.

Regards,
Raj.