1753479 Members
5007 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Fan Failures

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Fan Failures

Is anyone out there having problems with DL360's with Fan Failures.

We have recently installed a number of new DL360's (30+), and had 4 different servers, have fan failures in the last 2 months.

Because the DL360 has only 1 fan, it shuts down. - Therefore I can't rely on this model of server for critical applications.....
8 REPLIES 8
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Chris,
You're referring to the FAN assembly (i.e. the blower that provides air to the CPUS?) There seems to be issues with the power supply fans (see thread titled "Power supply fan failure (several machines)".

Maybe, Compaq is having problems with their OEM sourced components....is it ok to ask for the model of the DL360s you have installed? It would be interesting to know whether its got to do with specific models of DL360s.

P.S. I've got the old model DL360 (550Mhz) and it's ok.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The last server that failed had 2 Pentium III /933Mhz processors.
The exact error was :-
" Automatic Operating System Shutdown Initiated Due to Fan Failure
System Fan Failure (Fan 2, Location Power Supply) "
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks, the "Power supply fan failure (several machines)", is our exact problem.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I just found out there is a Engineering advisory on this issue. Now we just wait for Compaq to release the customer advisory with serial numbers and rev. codes. Good to see Compaq does know about this. If I were you, I would replace all power supplies that have a rev code of 1.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

After some really loud yelling, I got Compaq to admit to the problem and they have released a fix for it as of January 1, 2002. The new power supply is rev. 09 or higher. Anything below is bad. If anyone out there has 20 or more, you can have them proactively replaced. E-mail me and I will send you the information necessary to get the replacement. jeff_burga@nhc.adp.com.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi

I need to know where I can get the fix/update to the fan failure problems.
Thanks.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

hi, i have had 4 of out 20 of my DL360's in the last 3 weeks have Power supply fan failure's
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi Chris,
we've the same problem with 4 Proliant DL360 server from the first series.
The fans in the power-supply with Hardware revision 0.1 is dying after 15 - 18 months.
The new part with is used today have Hardware revision 0.9 and is working well.
Hint: ask compaq for checking your Serialnumbers for this known problem.

regards Ralf