ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan Noise Too Loud!!! Ramps up when Hot but wont ramp down when cool. Model: Proliant DL380 G5

famousgorila
Occasional Contributor

Fan Noise Too Loud!!! Ramps up when Hot but wont ramp down when cool. Model: Proliant DL380 G5

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone could help me out or give me some insight on this problem I am having. We have a Proliant DL380 G5 server at our office and everytime it gets hot the fan on one of our power supplies gets super loud. I understand that the power supply is trying to cool itself off but the problem is it gets insanely loud (the whole floor can hear it) and it doens't ever ramp back down once the unit gets cool. How can I fix this problem? We have redundant power supplies set up on the server but the fan seems to get loud on the same unit everytime.The server runs Windows Small Business Server 2008 and has no third party devices hooked up to it. 

2 REPLIES
Dave73
Regular Advisor

Re: Fan Noise Too Loud!!! Ramps up when Hot but wont ramp down when cool. Model: Proliant DL380 G5

Start off by installing http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/spp/index.html to get firmware and drivers to the latest levels.

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: Fan Noise Too Loud!!! Ramps up when Hot but wont ramp down when cool. Model: Proliant DL380 G5

Adding to that, if you think only one out of two PSU makes noise, I would say check if both the PSU are of same specs.
For example the REV# on the PSU are they the same.
If you think any particular PSU with REV# is making noise, then you may need to swap that PSU.