ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)

Fan noise in DL380 G10

DiagoFernandes
Advisor

Fan noise in DL380 G10

Last year I added a new DL380 G10  product id P02465-B21 to my VMware hosts. I have noticed that there is slight fan noise at times.  While it has 6 fans, the speed is between 11% to 23%.  

I have received similar complaints from other customers who purchased DL380 G10 servers and even from authorized HPE retailers. 

Below is the firmware details.

Product ID        P02465-B21

System ROM     U30 v2.32 (03/09/2020)

System ROM Date 03/09/2020

Redundant System ROM U30 v2.14 (09/05/2019)

While I have been asked to update the server firmware, I did but unfortunetly the issue remains the same unless there is latest firmware that resolves the fan noise issue.

Would appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction in rectifying the fan noise issue.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
Sebasbin
HPE Pro

Re: Fan noise in DL380 G10

Hi,

I think the FAN speed 23% is normal .

You can do below steps also and check if any difference 

1) Update the server BIOS and ILO firmware to the latest versions 
2) Login to ILO >>>>Go to Power & Thermal - Fan information >> Set the Thermal configuration to optimal cooling >>Set the minimal Fan speed to 15% 

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

DiagoFernandes
Advisor

Hi Sebasbin,

I have updated the ILO firmware for G10. Can you provide me the link to latest server BIOS firmware considering I have current below firmware?

Capture.JPG

Also I have carried out steps mentioned in point 2 before but to no avail.

I'm aware this is a known issue with DL380 G10 servers as many customers have complained. It is not a big deal, but sometimes the noise can be quite intimadating specially when working in the server room.

HPE should either rectify their product with a firmware that fixes the issue, or replace the server.  HPE cannot expect us to do trial and error specially on a production server.

Sebasbin
HPE Pro

Hi,

Please find the below BIOS and ILO firmware link

Online ROM Flash Component for Windows x64 - HPE Integrated Lights-Out 5 (version:-2.35)
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_68521c7f55774cbe856a3f3256

BIOS-Online ROM Flash Component for Windows x64 - HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 (U30) Servers (Version 2.42)
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_752b27a97c004385af78833ed5

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

DiagoFernandes
Advisor

Thank you, Sebasin.

We have raised a ticket with HPE Support on this.

Regards,