3650 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Fan noise on dl380 g4

papajon_0s1
Occasional Contributor

Fan noise on dl380 g4

Hello,

At work I have inherited an old DL380 G3 (x86) that I got server 2008 to install on.  However, the fan noise now just goes to super high and never slows down. It was fine wehn it was a 2003 box.  I understand the fan is controleed by the system unless there is a "health driver" installed. It may be a baseboard driver perhaps?  Either way I cannot find any drivers of anything close to that to get it be controllede by the "health driver" rather than the system.  I guess the system knows only lo and super high and with the driver it has a better control over the speed (hence the noise!).  Any idea where I can find a "sytem health driver", or whatever it is supposed to be, for server 2008 (x86)?  Thanks in advance. 

2 REPLIES 2
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Try the Insight Management Agents
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=426678&swItemId=MTX_53610c1664234f5e81f801bec2&swEnvOid=4184
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c00293378

Thank You!
I am a HPE employee

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

papajon_0s1
Occasional Contributor

Suman_1978,

Thanks for the reply.  I did have some hope for a bit here because while I had already installed those agents, when I installed it fresh from the link you suggested it said it was not the latest version(s) and (apparently) updated them (I guess...?).  But sadly, upon reboot of the server,  the fans are still roaring like an angry lion. 

I admit I am fresh out of good ideas;  kind of a shame because I am just using it to be a unique machine to act as an iSCSI presenter for a SAN that just does a backup. I was hoping to re-use this old girl rather than having to go through the whole buying new equipment process. Seems a waste for such a small use. 

Jon