ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753854 Members
7692 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion

Fan or inlet ambient sensor detect failed and prepare to shutdown ml150g6

ITBW

Fan or inlet ambient sensor detect failed and prepare to shutdown ml150g6

Hi, well just got back from Xmas holidays to find server in office not running. Server in Question is ML150g6 with 2 CPU and 24GB of ram. Unit was running great up until last Thursday, however when I boot I get msg “Fan or inlet ambient sensor detect failed and prepare to shutdown”. I have checked all fans, they appear to be running, checked all cables, reseated them, have blown out server to remove dust and beastie’s and still I get this error. I have searched web and do not find much about this issue, except advice on ensuring you have correct fans etc, which I do. Could this be somehow a firmware issue? Any help would be most appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: Fan or inlet ambient sensor detect failed and prepare to shutdown ml150g6

Hi,

Login to the server's iLO, take a backup of the IML logs if required and the clear the IML logs. Restart the server and check if the issue is resolved. If the issue persists, then clear the server's CMOS settings. Refer to section "Clearing CMOS" in the server's maintenance and service guide locatable here.

If the issue persists, but LO100 has not been configured, then boot the server with Easy Setup CD, use the SEL tab and clear iML logs.

If LO100 has been configured, the above steps were performed, yet the issue is not resolved, then update the server's BIOS, LO100 firmware, and if HP Management Agents have been installed, update then as well and check if the issue is resolved.

If the issue persistes, then reduce the server to base configuration. Remove all expansion cards, have only one processor and one memory module, power on the server. Keep adding components one at a time and power on the server, till the component causing the issue is isolated.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

rod_bunny
Occasional Visitor

I've just had the exact same thing happen!

ML150 G6 Dual Xeons, 32Gb RAM, P410, 4*2Tb.

Been running fine for 3 months (numerous reboots etc)

The fans started revving up and down (with same load)

Message of "Fan or inlet ambient sensor detect failed and prepare to shutdown "

The server shutdown gracefully.

I attempted to apply BIOS update 2011.01.18 (A) (9 Feb 2011) - which apparently fixes this issue.

The server never finished booting (ie the BIOS update never started!) the fans are running at full speed and there are 13 beeps* at POST. (13 is HP ROM image does not match BIOS requirements or AMI BIOS ROM image mismatch (file layout does not match image present in flash device))

Nothing on screen.

I cannot apply the BIOS update or the ILO updates.

Tried to run the Easy Setup CD.

Tried manual ROMPaq disaster recovery.

I've attempted reset of the CMOS by jumper 12 (46**). Nothing changes.

I've attempted reset of ILO by jumper 8 (48**). Nothing changes.

I've attempted reset of ILO by ROMPAQ Version 4.26  Rev. A  (Noting the process time in Document ID: c01995737)

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?calledBy=&docId=emr_na-c01995737-3&docLocale=

Unplugged the thermal sensor (Plug 44)

Unplugged Fans

Unplugged P410

Every reboot is the same: Fans screaming (90dB) and 13 beeps.

Any further ideas Vijayasarathy?

**On System Board Components sticker on inside of case.

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hi,

At this stage, where the server cannot even complete POST, the way out would a new system board as I see it.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

rod_bunny
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Vijayasarathy

I feared it might be the case (Was really hoping that it wasnt as the new MB quoted costs more than the server did)