1745915 Members
4517 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

Fan speed at 100% after installing new drives

AllanThomsen
Visitor

Fan speed at 100% after installing new drives

I have purchased a HPE prolient dl380 gen9 and installed 2 ssd 1tb raid 1 as main drive and everything was running perfectly. Then I purchased 2 x 2 tb normal sata drives (Seagate 2TB BarraCuda) raid 1 for file storage, but after installing the drives the fans run at full speed all the time. When I pull them out of the hot swap bay the fan speed goes to normal imidiatly. The temperature of the new drives are showing 29 deg C and are not hot to the hand at all. I have made all nessasary firmware updates.

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Fan speed at 100% after installing new drives

Are two 1TB SSDs HPE genuine and supported by your Server (as per its QuickSpecs) and aren't two additional 2TB disks genuine (as per description)?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
AllanThomsen
Visitor

Non of them is HPE drives. I have now purchased 2 pcs. HPE Midline Hard Drive 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" SFF 7200 and waiting for their arrival. But I really think it is a shame that you can only use HPE drives in the HPE Proliant DL380 server. But at least the SSD drives worked all right. I can see that the temperature readings on the 2 tb drives are way below critical so I have no clue why the server ramp up the fans to 100% other than they are not HPE genuine.

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Do you have all fans installed in the server? Basic configurations often have less than maximum fans. If you add a second CPU (or possibly more disks) you will need additional fans to fulfill the cooling requirements.

I have installed all kind of Non-HP disks including SSD's and never had the fans turning high. Although not on a G9...

Do you have access to the iLO? What does the IML Log say?

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"