cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan speed

Nestor Torres
Occasional Contributor

Fan speed

How I can slow down the fans speed, they are always full speed, I have seen at Ibm´s models that the fans start full speed but after few times they slown down the speed, my server is a Proliant, model DL380 G4. Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Re: Fan speed

The system management drivers (CPQHEALTH,health driver) (I hope you have last Proliant Support Pack installed) will slow down the fans when windows (or another OS) loaded.
You can change fan speed options in BIOS
(I think it is Advanced Options/Default Fan Speed) and in system managenement agents,
but, again, health driver must do it automatically !
Also, if the fan speed is fast, then slow, then fast again you probably have a hardware failure.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

You can also see this document
"System Fan Control For The ProLiant DL380 G3 Server" (I think it's same for G4)
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_CN0354W
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

have a look at this similar thread:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=962600

there is a process in there on how to emulate fan failure to cause the fans to kick into "true high speed" and that will let you know if they're running at normal or at high by default.

there is a picture attached to one of the replies that if you look at it, will show you where to place a piece of paper to cause the fans to goto a higher speed.

also you could try bringing the system down to minimal fans and removing one and waiting, the system is designed to rev up the fans upon fain failure, but might not happen immediately.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Two thing to be done
Check with the latest BIOS
check with the latest PSP

Reason new Proliant Servers are controller using both the hardware and software. So if both are there then no issues.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible