cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan subsystem is in failed state Proliant ML370 G3

Ricardo Perales
Occasional Visitor

Fan subsystem is in failed state Proliant ML370 G3

My Proliant ML370 G3 has redundant fan (4 fans)They appear to be ok with green led, but they are not working really and it becomes in auto shutdown state. I have upgraded to the latest Bios but it still does not function.
Any idea abouto how to resolve this problem??

Thansk in advance.
Ricardo
2 REPLIES
Mihai Lupu_3
Advisor

Re: Fan subsystem is in failed state Proliant ML370 G3

When you buy it, the ML370 is not quite redundant... He has three fans, two for procs and one for boards, but that is the minimum required for work.
You have to buy a "redundance kit fans" which contain a pair for each fan, so only then you will have redundance.
You can read the sticks from plate (there you will find that the specified pair for every fan). Basically then you will have another two fans in the back side (behind procs) and the second fan for boards.
Best regards,
Mihai
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: Fan subsystem is in failed state Proliant ML370 G3

Ricardo,

The ML370G3 redundant fan kit adds 3 more fans to make a total of 6 fans.

I have attached an image showing the location of the default fans (3 fans)and the redundant ones (3 fans). If you have 2 CPU's (especially 3.XGhz models) and lots of memory, you should have the full number of fans installed or you may get thermal shutdowns due to the heat.

I think this is what is happening although I'm not sure why you would have 4 fans installed as this is not correct.

Can you please confirm the number of fans that you have in the system (including the ones at the rear of the chassis).

If your system really has 6 fans and you have two 3.XGhz (3.06 or 3.2Ghz) cpu's installed, the problem may be due to a known power backplane issue.

Please confirm configuration.

Regards,

Brian