ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748044 Members
4841 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Fans, DL560 and VMWare EXSi (oh my!)

ChrisTH
Occasional Advisor

Fans, DL560 and VMWare EXSi (oh my!)

SW & HW as per the subject, wondering if there's any way of regulating the fans (common question it seems!)

Booting the SmartStart CD calms them down, and so far I haven't found any support in ESXi for the fans.

Never managed these beasts before (got 'em 2nd hand cheap just for interest's sake) & not sure which way to go with it.

I'm hoping there's some way to do it via the iLO interface? I have downloaded a lot of docs and apps from HP but it's a lot to grok at once.

It seems that the utils I've downloaded all want Server editions of either Windwos Linux etc which I don't have. I can manage ESXi from XP and was hoping I could do the same with the DL560's fans - console or CLI I/F would be OK.

Is there any possibility? TIA
14 REPLIES 14
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi ChrisTH

try installing the HP agent they will control the fans speed

here's the agents

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=316583&swItem=MTX-62350b0bf98a442fb3c1cb1154&prodNameId=3288105&swEnvOID=4025&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=1

try and let us know

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
ChrisTH
Occasional Advisor

Karlo,

I'm grateful for your reply.

I do have that file downloaded, but wasn't sure how to install it.

I have since found a method to access the console/commandline in ESXi but am not sure how to download the file into the ESXi file structure. Is it done with the VMWare VI client (that's all I have at the moment)? Or is it as simple as putting it on a CD or memory stick?

Thx.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

yes you have to copy the file to a usb - CDROM or use winscp so can copy and transfer files using a graphical interface

http://winscp.net/eng/download.php

for this in case you need the root to log using ssh you must enable ssh for the root

1. Go to the service console on the physical server & login
2. vi /etc/ssh/sshd_config
3. Change the line that says PermitRootLogin from ├в no├в to ├в yes├в
4. do service sshd restart

source:
http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/virtualization-pro/how-to-allow-the-root-user-to-login-to-vmware-esx-server-with-ssh/

regards
ChrisTH
Occasional Advisor

Hi Karlo,

Once again: thanks!

I'll try it in the next day or so and report back.
Kensy2
Frequent Advisor

something else

you got the ESXi with no agents at all ?

since I was dowloading the ESXi and saw dos options to download one with no HP agents and one with HP agents by default

check attached picture
ChrisTH
Occasional Advisor

To Kensy2,

Yes, I know about the HP version of ESXi and this *is* the one I installed - that's why I'm a little puzzled why it doesn't seem to do anything with the fans (although it's possible the HP 'support' may well not extend this far).

As a last ditch try, I'll follow the great instructions from Karlo and see if any improvements come out of it.

Otherwise the servers will have to live in the garage (which where I'll otherwise be if the servers stay in the house!)

So I guess from the lack of replies iLO is no help in this case?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

what do you mean by "So I guess from the lack of replies iLO is no help in this case?"

???
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

ChrisTH
Occasional Advisor

To Karlo,

Re: 'lack or replies re iLO' all I meant was that no-one has said whether it's possible to use iLO to remotely control the fans using a simple client (something that will run on XP Pro for example). I don't mind whether it's console/CLI or GUI.

I have connected to the iLO port with via browser and there's lots of nice stuff there for monitoring, but nothing that immediately jumped out at me for *control* of the hardware. Of course, I don't pretend that I know exactly what to look for...

I've tried to understand the HP docs on iLO but it's above my head. It's probably way too complicated for what I want in terms of the hardware & software requirements of the controlling PC. I only have 2 of these beasts to look after. I'm happy to be corrected!

First I'll see if loading the HP agents does any good and then see what happens after that.

Thanks all for your patience.