Fans in ML150 G6

SOLVED
Go to solution
alexey_komis
Occasional Visitor

Fans in ML150 G6

Dear all,

I have ML150 G6 with non-HP fans installed. I would like to: 

1) Change threshods for fan. Current thresholds in Bios do not correspond to actual rpm and therefore I got events in impi.

2) Change fan rotation speed. Cutrent temperature is 24, cpu temp is 30, hdd temp is 29-35, but fans are ratation at 70-80% pwm. I would like to decrease this level to 30-40% and increase only in case tempratures arises. 

Thanks for advices!

4 REPLIES 4
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Fans in ML150 G6

Hello,

I hope all is well.

There are different reasons for high fan speed.

1) Update BIOS, it is the one who controls the Fans
2) If there is no air baffle and it is supposed to be one on the server, the airflow is not going to be as is supposed to be
3) Look if all the fans are running
4) check if you have all the fans
5) PCI cards can cause this because they could obstruct the airflow
6) Too many DIMMs and CPUs (Remember that the CPUs and the DIMMs elevate the internal temperature of the server, so the Fans will be running at more speed)
7) The temperature of the server room

Workaround: In the Bios > Advanced > IPMI we have the Blow-Out feature option which docs say just forces the fan to run at max speed during POST. It was enabled which is the default. Set it to disabled

Go into the BIOS at boot POST time, you must press [ F10 ] then go into the [Advanced] column menu, then go into the IPMI submenu.

[Main]->[+Advanced+]->[+IPMI+]

There is an option called the [Blow-Out feature].

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

alexey_komis
Occasional Visitor

Hello! 

Yes, you are right, there is no air-baffle and I have all PCI-E/PCI slots and all memory slots used. 

I have 4 fans whiach are runnng - 2 pwm for CPU, 1 pwm for chassis and 1 non-pwm for north-bridge (it's too hot). 

I tried Blow-Out feature, but it does not affect fan behaviour at all.  Temperarute of my living-room is 21-22,/

So, it seems I have to use fan control  unit to manually decrease PWM of a chassis. 

B0ykut3x
Occasional Visitor

Hello guys. I come from Vietnam. currently i am having problem with hp ml 150g6 mainboard. I only have 1 motherboard. how can i make it run standalone like a normal computer.
Sunitha_Mod

Hello @B0ykut3x

Thank you for reaching out to us. Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you to create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and help you. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo