ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753521 Members
4820 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Fastest SSDs on SAS interface for P440ar controller + RAID compatibility + firmware requirements

Pentan
Occasional Advisor

Fastest SSDs on SAS interface for P440ar controller + RAID compatibility + firmware requirements

Hi everybody!

I have a server HP DL360 Gen9 (P440AR controller). I just want to use high-speed SSD disks on the SAS interface (as fast as possible on SAS interface only).

1) I found very fast SAS SSD (for example DC SS540, SS530, SS300  of WD), but I don’t know if it is compatible with the controller P440AR for creating RAID 10?

SSD SS540:

IOPS (4KiB) Read/Write:   470K / 240K

Read/Write: 2130 MiB/s / 2109 MiB/s

2) Also, I don’t know which versions of the firmware for HP DL360 Gen9 server support such disks (or other SSDs on SAS)?

Maybe anybody will have a good recommendation in this regard which SAS SSDs is better to choose for P440AR controller for RAID10?

Thanks a lot in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
ShruthiSK
HPE Pro

Re: Fastest SSDs on SAS interface for P440ar controller + RAID compatibility + firmware requirements

Hi, 

You could choose any of the SAS SSDs listed in the DL360 Gen9 quickspecs which will be supported with the p440ar controller. 

Please find the same in Pg 24-28 according to the configuration needed: https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04375623

RAID that you need to be configured totally depends on the controller being used and not the SSDs. 

For reference, Pg 2: https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04346277

For RAID 10, you will need minimum of 4 drives. 

Regards,

Shruthi (HPE Employee)

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Pentan
Occasional Advisor

Hi Shruthi!

Thank you very much for the advice to select absolutely compatible disks! I understand that you recommend installing equipment that produced only by HP, but I'm looking for the fastest SSDs (for SAS  interface only), so I'm interested in HP server compatibility with SSD drives from other brand, because they are significantly faster. That is why I am interested in the answer to my first and main question. I'm still waiting for more information about compatibility with other ssd vendors.

Pentan
Occasional Advisor

I found a person on the Internet who confirmed the successful installation of SSD Seagate Nytro 3730 in RAID 10 on the HP DL 380 server (P440ar controller).

His comment:

Sometimes the server, when you first insert a disk, can swear and say that it’s not original - this is a mistake of Chinese baskets, do not be afraid. plug again, or plug into a neighboring port.

Maybe this information will help someone.

In pursuit of iOPS speed, I forgot to pay attention to reliability. Nytro drives use newer 3D eMLC technology + 10 times higher error tolerance (1 per 10E18).