ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fictitious Loss of ILO Link Alerts

Fictitious Loss of ILO Link Alerts

(apparently, at some point, somehow, this ended up on the "netservers" forum, so I'm reposting here since I see this on BL and DL series hardware)

Since upgrading to hp-health 8.7.0 (and now even through the most current revs of hp-health), we've been seeing  lot of:

Trap-ID=9015

The Remote Insight/ Integrated Lights-Out firmware has detected the loss of network link.

It gets immediately followed, within a minute or two with:

Trap-ID=9016

The Remote Insight/ Integrated Lights-Out firmware has detected the presence of network link.

We originally thought it might be a firmware issue, but it doesn't seem to be tied to any particular firmware rev.

Anyone seen this, or have any thoughts?

13 REPLIES
chinmay
Frequent Advisor

Re: Fictitious Loss of ILO Link Alerts

Hi,
Could you please let me know the model of the server ?
When was this issue observed ? (any specific changes on h/w or s/w)

Try accessing ILO after you get trap id  9015 and let me know if you are able to (as you mentioned 9016 is seen after a min or2). Its seems to be a fatal error. If confirmed you are unable to access, check for error (IML)stating unable to communicate with processor management.
As confirmed the bios and the ilo firmware is upto date hence you can try the below steps as well 

Can we replace the n/w cable connected to the ilo port  and check for issue persists

Also try updating the HP Insight Management Agents, which can resolve this. 

Please Acknowledge by clicking the white KUDOS Star!!!!!!!!
-Chinmay Kabi Satpathy

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

This traps occur if iLO Ethernet Cable is removed.

It could be issue with Ethernet cable itself or Router/Switch to which iLO is connected.

I see this on all manner of servers:

BL460G6, G7

DL380G6, G7

It happens all the time (we've got an install-base of a couple hundred systems, so I probably see about 2-3 per day). But by the time the mail actually finds its way to me, the 9106 is through and it's cleared, so it's not really possible to test.

We've updated the hp-health/snmp/etc. packages (ie, everything that's installed) to the most current rev.

It happens even on blades where there are no network cables. 

It happens even on systems with current ILO revs.

There is nothing in either the IML or ILO log.

Any other ideas? :-)

chinmay
Frequent Advisor

No doubt its a fatal error. Am checking the network card and the ilo port information from my data base. As of now don't see much information that can be shared. I will revert with an update. 

-Chinmay Kabi Satpathy

What do you mean by a "fatal error"?

chinmay
Frequent Advisor

If your server displays a "Fatal Error" message it means that a problem has occurred requiring you to take action.

But that's my point : this is "fictitious". There is no actual error. My blades aren't losing ILO link, in every chassis we own, in two different data-centers.  They're blades. Unless every backplane to come off the factory line for the last four years has been chock-full of design defects AND every cable we've run to DL-series ILO ports in two data-centers has been bad, then this isn't really happening.

It's a bug in the hp-health code somewhere. Introduced in 8.70.

chinmay
Frequent Advisor

That's the reason why I said, "will revert soon". I too believe this is not genuine or authentic error,and to confirm (bug) I have posted this to the engineering team and waiting for their response.

Ahhh, ok. I didn't understand what you were getting at. It sounded like you were trying to say that this was a real error I should be addressing. :-)

Thx,

D

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

What OS is this?

RHEL/CentOS 5

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Ok, this is something we need to investigate. Could you please call HP support and log a case number?

Just an FYI, this appears to all be resolved now that we're using 9.1.0 of all the snmp agents / health / etc.