1748246 Members
3646 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

File Server - the best solution

DariuszBi

File Server - the best solution

Hi All,
I'm looking for new file/print server (FP), I need min 300GB or more (RAID5) plus backup device, can you please advice me what hardware is the best (cotroller, ect), ML or DL, end users (100) works with citrix solution, all data are stored on the server.

thanks Darek
5 REPLIES 5
raadek
Honored Contributor

Re: File Server - the best solution

If you already have a rack then go for this:

DL380R04 X3.4-2MB/800, 2GB High Performance
[378738-421]

Out of the box you have almost everything you need: 2 CPUs, 2GB of RAM, embedded RAID controller with dual SCSI backplane & batery backed write chache, redundant PSUs & fans.

Then a couple of 36GB / 15K drives for OS in RAID1 plus four 145GB/15K in RAID5 for data (on a separate channel - dual SCSI backplane pays off here!).

As a backup device I'd suggest this:
- 64-Bit/133-MHz Single Channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA G2 [374654-B21]
- HP Ultrium 448 Rack-mount (carbonite) - single drive installed in a 1U Rack-mount kit [DW028B]

Hope it helps!
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
DariuszBi

THANKS Raadek, once more question about the streamer, why not Streamer HP Ultrium 960 Internal Tape Driver, too big? the rest your informations is exactly what I need :-)
Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

DL vs. ML comes down to two things.

Rack mount = DL
Tower = ML (although you can rack mount if need be)

The ML also will allow for more spindles. You say you need 300GB of space for what sounds like roaming citrix profiles. If I were you I would buy a single proc. (no need for dual here) DL380/385 w/2GB of RAM. Use the 6i, just upgrade it with the BBC module (and it will expand your cache to 192MB). Dual Power supplies for redundancy and configure your disk as such:

2 x 36GB OS C:\ (spindles 0 & 1) RAID1
4 x 146GB Data E:\ (spindles ( 2, 3 & 4)RAID5

use spindle 5 (the last disk) as an online spare for both Array A & B, or you can save some money and drop it all together.
raadek
Honored Contributor

Re Darek's question why not internal tape:
- there is enough space for either 6x HDD OR 4x HDD only + an internal tape drive in the DL38x
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
raadek
Honored Contributor

oops, sorry: in fact it is five HDDs + a tape.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]