ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751840 Members
5295 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Files over 2 gig in size going to 0

Vickie Carter

Files over 2 gig in size going to 0

I have a Proliant server that at random times the files over 2 gig in size are going to 0 in size. These are files that have no consistency, they are not the same extension or type of file. The only thing they have in common are that they all are over 2 gig in size. I have begged HP for support on this since this server is under warranty but they still say it is not a hardware problem and won't help me.
2 REPLIES 2
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Vickie,

You don't mention what operating system is installed. This sounds like a file-system limitation like FAT 16, which can only handle 2Gb. If it's a Microsoft operating system I'm sure there's an answer somewhere to your problem. I assume that the files are actually OK and that it's only when checked with explorer or equivalent that the file size is reported as 0. Is this the case?

Please forward more details on the Operating System and the format of the partition where the files are located, i.e. (FAT16,FAT32,NTFS,other)

Brian
Vickie Carter

It is a Windows 2000 server running NTFS. It is a 62.7 gig partition. The files show 0 in size and they are really 0 in size. This has been going on over a year now. The server was originally an NT 4 server but sometime in the past year trying to figure out this problem, the entire server was wiped clean and a new installation of Windows 2000 was installed. The funny thing about this is that not all files over 2 gig go to 0. We have had one out there since June and it is fine. We put one out there 2 days ago and it was gone to 0 within 24 hours.