New Discussion юеВ

Re: Firmware Maint. 8.20 fails with DL585 G5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jonathan Thorpe
Occasional Advisor

Firmware Maint. 8.20 fails with DL585 G5

Hi,

I've got 3 DL585 G5's each with 4 Opteron 8354 CPU's and each with 64GB of RAM all displaying the same fault with the current maintenance CD image (8.20).

When I try to boot the 8.20 image, they initially chain the Linux loader and appear to decompress and load the kernel but then hang with a blank screen before what would normally be the "Loading drivers (step 1 of 4)" stage. The servers have to be hard powered off to restart them.

I've tried an 8.10 image and this was able to boot the servers into the update manager, so I'm looking at a problem with the 8.20 image. I therefore downloaded a new 8.20 image and tried again but got the same result. I've since tried the same disk in some DL360 G5's and some DL380 G5's and they updated fine. The problem appears to be DL585 G5 specific.

I've checked the server support document for 8.20 and the DL585 G5 is supported from 8.10 onwards.

I've tried toggling the BIOS option for the HPET workaround on some Linux versions and using the 'largemem' image mentioned in the release notes but all hang with the same symptoms.

This appears to be a packaging / kernel fault on startup to be but has anyone else experienced this?
16 REPLIES 16

Same issue with 585G2 64GB memory
Claudio_Ita

Hi,
I have the same issue with a DL585 (G1). This is the first of 6 DL585 that I have to update.
Note that via iLO the image seems to be visible, but I don't have the license so I can't see images (iLO reports "Graphical remote console is an iLO Advanced Feature").

So, if you have that license, try to use iLO.

Please gimme a feedback
Jonathan Thorpe
Occasional Advisor

Indeed I do happen to have iLO2 Advanced licenses for these servers. I've just activated one of them and tried the 8.20 maintenance disc again but got the same results when viewed through the iLO remote console.

Interestingly, checking the iLO statistics whilst this was happening showed no errors I was hoping for a bug check in the IML or something.

Seems the next logical step, short of waiting for 8.30 is to start stripping out RAM and CPU's to see if it's a specific configuration fault.
Dan Greenfield

I've got a ML350 G5 that hangs on "Step 2 of 4: Loading Drivers". I'm trying an 8.10 CD next. I'll post a follow-up....
Dan Greenfield

The 8.10 CD loaded fine. Incidentally, I downloaded twice and made two 8.20 CDs thinking one might have been bad.
AaronK
Frequent Advisor

We are having the exact same problem with some DL580 G5s with 64GB of RAM.
The only other oddity (which I haven't tried removing) is we are using 10Gbit Intel Nics...

Miki Shapiro

BL685, 64GB RAM, same problem.
If some RAM is taken out -> no problem.
Jonathan Thorpe
Occasional Advisor

Miki, how much RAM did you have to remove? I've not had chance to strip back one of the DL585's yet due to a pending OS deployment but the opportunity might arise over the weekend.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

I found this you can try

""run the CD in text mode instead of graphical mode by pressing the ESC key when the first screen appears. The CD will then continue booting normally in text mode.""

try and let us know

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!