Firmware Maintenance CD and Proliant 1600

Hi,
I am trying to use Firmware Maintenance CD 7.30
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22722.html
on Proliant 1600.
Server started, Maintenance CD start to loading, I see messages
"Firmware Maintenance CD initializing..",
"Driver loading...",
"Initializing all devices. Please do not reboot the system! Proliant system health monitor loading." (this message appears for about two minutes).
After this message I see
"bash-2.05a#" on display and it's all!

I am trying it on two Proliant 1600 with same result. Servers have last BIOS version
"P08 version 2000.11.08"
Any suggestions ?
Thanks.
10 REPLIES
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: Firmware Maintenance CD and Proliant 1600

Igor I had same problem with 7.30 and 1600

can you try on of earlier or 7.40 ?
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/revision/9014.html
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What i suggest is follow the following steps as this was reported with older version also. So this may help you guys

Download the Offline ROM file (Typicially called CP00xxxx.scexe) and save it to an empty floppy.
Boot the server to a SmartStart 6.x CD, and procede to the Main Menu only
Press Ctrl-Alt-F1. This will switch the screen to the Linux console, shown by the bash-2.05a# prompt
Put the floppy into the server, and mount it. Type "mount /mnt/floppy" to mount it. If there isn't a problem, the bash prompt will reappear with no other text.
Type "/mnt/floppy/CP00xxxx.scexe -f" to run the ROM update. Most likely the update will ask the user to type YES to confirm the flash.
Once done, press Ctrl-Alt-F2 to return to the SmartStart GUI, and click Exit to shutdown.

Prashant S
Nothing is impossible
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

KOV, I can try 7.40 on Sunday.
BTW, 7.30 marked as supported for Proliant 1600 on http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/cd_supportinfo/FirmwareCD.pdf

Prashant, what is the purpose of test you advise? I can update firmware using floppy disks without firmware Maintenance CD, but we have many Proliant 1600 servers with many different SCSI disks models, and I don't want to use 15 floppy to search/update SCSI disks firmware on each server.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

KOV,
I tried today 7.40 - same behavior as 7.30.
Then I tried 7.10 - it's loaded, but on first screen (select language) keyboard/mouse doesn't work - therefore it cannot be used too.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

same here
Igor I did tested few more servers at home
With 7.20, 7.30, 7.40

PL1600 all with error bash-2.05a# _
PL1200 some CD hangs some with bash error
PL800 all CD boots fine
ML350 G1 all CD boots fine

7.xx all CD, based on the Linux core, probably problem is here, all server either one or dual CPU, however I had not tried to bring memory to minimum all at least 386MB-1GB
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

hi,

Issu is with the CD nothing else.

Prashant s
Nothing is impossible
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

It grieved me, because now I need to use 15 diskette softpaq to update SCSI disks firmware.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

You shouldn't have to create 15 floppies. Lets say you have 3 different model # drives. An example would be BD01812579, BF07285A36, and BD009635C3. If you look at the softpaq.txt file (ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp19501-20000/SP19682.txt) you'll see the first drive is on disk 5, the second on disk 15, and the last on disk 9. The only disk out of this set which is bootable is floppy #1, so that makes 4 floppies.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Yes, I know.
But we have at least 6 different drive models, need to do inventory which disks models on each server and cross fingers for floppy drive working.
And all 7.x versions marked as supported for Proliant 1600 :-)http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/cd_supportinfo/FirmwareCD.pdf
Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

Igor, just make the first bootable disk for the drives and boot off of it. It will scan your system and report back which floppies you actually need. It might be that all drives can be upgraded from just 1 or 2 floppies.