1752703 Members
5643 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Firmware Update DVD 9.00 Issue/Suggestion for HP

DerekS_1
Frequent Advisor

Firmware Update DVD 9.00 Issue/Suggestion for HP

HP, first let me thank you for a combined and more automated firware update DVD. The fully automated scan is very nice, and a huge time saver. BUT, there's a noticable problem.

After the firmware updates complete, the server reboots. Since my server is set to boot from CD first, if I'm not standing there watching the update happen the server will get in an endless loop of scanning for updates and rebooting.

The Smart Update engine needs to be configured to NOT reboot after the updates are completed in automatic mode. As it stand now, if I'm not wasting time hovering over the server I 1) Don't know what updates were or were not done 2) Any errors 3) Endless reboot cycle.

Simply displaying a final status screen with all applied updates and error messages would be far superior and more helpful than the current implementation.
12 REPLIES 12
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Hi DerekS,

could you please tell me on which proliant server did you applied this FW update DVD,
and what was the previous version of the firmware revision.

mikap
DerekS_1
Frequent Advisor

It happened on a BL490c G6, and it has the January 2010 System ROM. The 'issue' occurred on all 14 blades I did yesterday.
DerekS_1
Frequent Advisor

To follow up, I was using a HP external DVD-ROM via the multi-headed cable to perform the update. It was not using iLO virtual media.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I did not used this yet, just downloaded.

But if I take a look into usbmenu.cfg it looks like the startup behavior is controlled there.

The option

ONTIMEOUT sos

will probably boot the automatic mode by default.

Just create the USB device and try to modify this file to start something else by default.

Please share your results.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

Derek,
Can you provide the model number of the DVD drive you are using? We have seen in the past that the commands we on the Firmware DVD do not eject with some models of DVD drives connected via the external SUV cable. We have seen it eject on other drives, so we need to investigate what is causing it to not eject correctly with your model.

The normal operation of the DVD is to eject at the end unless there is an error found. If there is an error found, we stop and allow the user to review why the failure occurred. We also use the UID light, blinking it while the update is in progress, turning it off on success and leaving it on solid in the event of a failure. Also, at the end of the installation, if you were using the iLO Virtual Media, you could mount the iLO Virtual Floppy and retrieve any logs files generated during the update process.

The reboot at the end of the installation was done for those users who are integrating the firmware support into an installation process and want to reboot if successful into the next mode of the installation process.

Thanks,
Michael Garner
HPSUM/FW DVD Architect
DerekS_1
Frequent Advisor

CD-ROM is HP UJDA775. USB cradle is PA509A#ABA.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Thank you very much for this information Michael.
But how about USB key drives?
I prefer them, because I can include newer versions too, e.g. iLO 1.82 firmware.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

DerekS_1
Frequent Advisor

You can easily add new firmware to DVD ISO images. I do it all the time, and works great with 9.00. I put in ILO 1.82 and the April 1 G6 System ROM and it picks them up.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Yes, but I think it is much easier to carry a couple of USB thumbdrives with me. One combined with smartstart and smartstart firmware, one for Integrity servers, one with all the LTT stuff and library firmware ... and so on.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.