4908 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Firmware Upgrade BL p-class Management Modules

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stephan Schmoliner

Firmware Upgrade BL p-class Management Modules

I upgraded the iLO-firmware on one BL20p G2 to 1.64 and apparently also have to upgrade the firmware of the all the enclosures in that rack to 2.10 to get the new rack topology view in iLO 1.64.

Is it possible to update the enclosure firmware without rebooting the blades, ie without downtime?

I can't find that information in the manpage of cpqblru and all support documents on blade management only say "For information about upgrading server blade management module or power management module firmware, refer to the HP website: www.hp.com".
6 REPLIES 6
Roy Main
Valued Contributor

Re: Firmware Upgrade BL p-class Management Modules

Stephan,

have you been to this link?

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22161.html

that's the firmware with instructions. you do not have to down the blades.
Stephan Schmoliner

Yes, I have been to this link. But the instructions don't specifically mention whether the upgrade can be done without downtime. Perhaps I'm beeing too cautious on this one but I don't want to "lose" 24 blades at the same time.
Where did you get the information that you don't have to shutdown the blades? Or did you already do a firmware-update yourself?
shirishkumar_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
If you upgrade system firmware you must reboot the system.without rebooting system firmware will not get updated.
Roy Main
Valued Contributor
Solution

yes, i have upgraded the firmware. you do not need to reboot your servers.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Stephan:

Updating the Enclosure firmware will not require a server reboot. The Management modules will reset/refresh, but your servers will continue to run. You may lose iLO connectivity during the process. I suggest ending all ilo sessions before hand.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Stephan Schmoliner

I did the update on a spare enclosure and it worked exactly as Roy and Steven described. No downtime necessary. Thanks for your help!