New Discussion

Re: Firmware Upgrade disks

SOLVED
Go to solution
remco_10
Advisor

Firmware Upgrade disks

Hi all,

I have a Compaq DL380 g2. The server uses a Smart Array 5300 SCSI controller (FW version 2.32), with 4 disks of 18Gb connected to it.

When the server is rebooted and initializes it's smart array controller, a message appears in the POST screen --> SCSI Port 1: SCSI Disk 2 needs a firmware upgrade.

So I have checked the controller with insight manager, and found that the specified disk is another model disk then the others.

A few questions:
1. Does it matter if all disks in a Array are not from the same model.
2. What will happen if the disk is not upgraded with the latest firmware, Performance loss????

thanks for your time.
Remco

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp Forum Moderator

1 REPLY 1
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Firmware Upgrade disks

hi remco,

It doesnt matter if the discs are from different manufactures if they are the size/capacity. If they are the same product group then there should be no issues with the raid config. Hp uses different manufactures to produce disks in the same product range that will work together. Preferably they should have the hp/compaq f/w on the drives for compatability rather than third party drives.
New firmware is produced to fix potential problems with discs which have been reported. This could be discs spinning down randomly, different thresholds set within the discs parameters for reliabity.
If HP deems it necessary it will be available to download from Hp's main web site. If the controller is reporting it then i would imagine it will be available.
It is usually easy to install from a bootable floppy.
If this is not done then you could run into problems later with the raid config and performance of the drive/raid set. Dependant upon the raid config as to whether you will lose data or not or possibly poor I/o performance

Hope that helps abit

Andy