108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Firmware flash through WIndows PE?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dennis_163

Firmware flash through WIndows PE?

Hi,

Just want to know if it is possible to flash components (BIOS, iLo and Array) through Windows PE so I can make it part of my automated installation. Tried to start an online Firmware flash for Array on my Proliant Dl360 started in Windows PE and it does nothing ... not even giving me an error.

Any help?

Dennis
4 REPLIES 4
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Dennis,
Currently, you must extract the contents of the component and run cpqsetup.exe directly from the WinPE environment for this to work. The problem is that the self-extracting executable expects to extract to the %TEMP% directory, which is read-only in a WinPE environment.

We are working on enhancements to the component extractor to allow the user to pass in a parameter that will allow the extractor to redirect the extraction of the component to the ramdisk (or some other read-write location. These enhancements are currently in test, but will be used on firmware released later this quarter and going forward. Because of the sheer number of released firmware components and the associated testing, we currently do not plan on going back and retrofitting old components with this enhancement.

Michael Garner
PSP/Component Development
Dennis_163

Michael,

Thanks for your reply. Your solution will do just fine for me right now!

Dennis
MarcP

Good day,

I am using Winpe 3.0 x64....all firmware update worked except for the Array Controller. I am receiving "....subsystem not present...." cp016378.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marc

Duffy-NTC

Marc,

How did you install the firmware updates on WinPE?  Did you use the hpsum utility or ran them invidually?

Thanks

@MarcP wrote:

Good day,

I am using Winpe 3.0 x64....all firmware update worked except for the Array Controller. I am receiving "....subsystem not present...." cp016378.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marc