3741 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Firmware update on Linux

SOLVED
Go to solution
ender1

Re: Firmware update on Linux

I have the same problem on Gentoo - afulnx_64 is written extremely badly, and doesn't work on recent kernels. What's happening is that the flasher extracts some source code, and tries to compile a kernel module, which fails due to changed functions. To make this stupider, the flasher deletes the source files before it exits, so it's not even that simple to work around the problem (there's a command-line parameter that's supposed to extract those sources, but that also tries to compile part of the module, which still fails).

I managed to get the update to run for previous BIOS release (by running cp in a loop until I got all the sources afulnx_64 extracts, fixing them until they compiled, and loading the module manually), but the new release changed something and doesn't like the old module, and I'm not in the mood to fix those sources again. HPE should provide an UEFI flash utility, that'd be less of a PITA than afulnx_64.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Solution

Oke I finally managed after many hours of frustration.

I disconnected all internal drives and installed Windows 10 on an old SSD I had lying around. After installation and final reboot, the monitor would go blank. I could get into safe mode but 7 out 10 times, the F8 keypress would be ignored. This took me a million reboots. The firmware flash doesn't work from Safe mode so I had to get the display issue fixed first. The monitor had an exclamation mark. I couldn't get it to work. I tried to get the monitor to work to no avail. I ended up right clicking the video driver and uninstall it, deleting the files as well (so it wouldn't reinstall after a reboot). This finally gave me a working display  and I was able to flash the firmware from Windows.

The new firmware definitely improves working with a PCIe videocard. Previously, I had no POST display and a blank screen until the OS was booted and initialized video output. This is working now and I can disable the internal GFX.

HPe really needs to supply a proper firmware flash package. Many firmwares allow flashing from within the firmware itself from a USB thumb drive.

Thanks again for the help Jimmy!

jeffemandel
Visitor

I'm trying to follow these instructions on my ML 10 Gen 9 server running Ubuntu 22.04.3. After installing Flex and Bison, I get this:

uname -i
x86_64
uname -r
5.15.0-79-generic

$ sudo ./Linuxflash.sh
make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'arch/x86/entry/syscalls/syscall_32.tbl', needed by 'arch/x86/include/generated/uapi/asm/unistd_32.h'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [arch/x86/Makefile:217: archheaders] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:8: default] Error 2
10 - Error: Unable to load driver.

It seems that it is trying to build the 32 bit version. Suggestions?

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @jeffemandel,

Thank you for posting! Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you to create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and assist you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo