6652 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Firmware update with Redhat - DL360

johnD83
Occasional Visitor

Firmware update with Redhat - DL360

Hello,

I'm currently trying to update firmware on RedHat entreprise 5.5 on DL360 servers with HP SUM.

I'm experiencing problem since the HPsum command line tool is not able to retrieve the installed version of a hardware component during a dryrun.  As seen in the log :

Component File Name: CP014348.scexe
  Component Name: HP NC-Series Broadcom Online Firmware Upgrade Utility for Linux x86_64
  Original Version: Managed by Component , please run firmware-report for more details
  New Version: 2.3.0
  Dryrun Installation Result: Success

Same problem is encountered with other hardware components (eg. Power management controller)

As we have to manage firmwares for 6000+ servers we need to find a way to automatically retrieve the version of all components with custom shell script.

Any help appreciated on how to retrieve the actual version of components (the firmware-report cannot be used since its output is not reliable)

PS: Im using the latest version of PSP and firmware dvd'ss

2 REPLIES 2
SMR
Valued Contributor

Errr... I can see your point but the dry run says Result: Success ... does the subsequent "for real" firmware installation fail? I don't think you need to worry about the PMC on the DL360 (what gen?) what are the other components that show the same behavior?
johnD83
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your answer. Well the problem is not the actual installation, it works properly.

But since the firmware update requires a reboot, we need to know if we really need to do an update.

It's impossible to know if the update is required with hpsum dryrun's output.

Besides PMC, HP NC series cards displays the same problem :

Component File Name: CP014348.scexe
  Component Name: HP NC-Series Broadcom Online Firmware Upgrade Utility for Linux x86_64
  Original Version: Managed by Component , please run firmware-report for more details
  New Version: 2.3.0
  Dryrun Installation Result: Success