108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Firmware update with hd in fault

fabio locati
Occasional Advisor

Firmware update with hd in fault

Hi guys, sorry for my english..
I have a big problem.
I restarted my server proliant ml350g5 with no problems on the hard disks (led green, 2 hard disk sas in raid 1+0)
So i wasn't worry.. but when I restarted the server with the dvd firmware update inserted, after (i think!!) the update the hard disk led in bay 1 was yellow!
The hard disk was fault! He said "missing"..
The server start with the hd in bay 2, but the windows server 2003 stop loading with the logo of windows server 2003 and the loading bar continue to move, but the keyboard can't respond.
The server don't start in safe mode, without error on screen, the server restart.
What's happened?? What can i do?
Thanks!
Fabio
8 REPLIES 8
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I hope you did a full backup before upgrading firmware.

The new firmware could have detected a faulty drive or caused it. You can put in a new drive as a spare and rebuild your RAID 1+0. Are you sure two drives are in RAID 1+0 and not RAID 0? They should be RAID 1 for two drives. RAID 1+0 is usually 4 drives.
fabio locati
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your reply!
Is just a success for me you understand my english :-)
Data are saved...
But i would like, if is possible, restore the windows installation.
In the ACU accessible during the boot i read "raid 1+0"..
But in your opionion is a driver problem?
A firmware that was updated?
Because i was able to access the logical disk in this way: i have installed windows server 2003 on ide hd, boot the server with this hard disk and now i can access (and save!!!) all the data.
With this possibility, is there some things i can do?
Tomorrow i will try with a new hard disk..
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Your english is not bad.

I would try adding a spare drive and set it to global. The array might rebuild without doing anything. I would get a backup of the data if you can. You can't have too many backups.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I would install the spare drive. Let the array rebuild. Then, upgrade the firmware on the new drive so they are all on the same firmware. I have seen firmware upgrades to drives cause them to fail because the new firmware detects a real problem.
fabio locati
Occasional Advisor

ok, tommorow i'll try.
When you say "set it to global" what's meaning?
It's a type of setting in the acu?
Thank you again..
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

You can set spare drives to either global to work with all RAID arrays or to a specific raid array.
fabio locati
Occasional Advisor

Hi.
To resume..

Situation:
raid 1 (2 hard disk), no spare drive
hd0 in fault
The S.O. (windows server 2003) boot with the hd1, but the start up stop responding while windows server 2003 logo.

Now i have the new hard disk to replace the one in fault.
How can i do?
I know the usually, beacuse hot spare, the change of the hard disk is while s.o. is online, but in my case a can't do it.

And then?

thanks!!

Fabio
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Install the drive as a spare and point it to the RAID 1. Don't remove the bad drive till the new one spins up. Wait till the new drive goes active and the controller has them listed as healthy. Then, try to boot.

What error on screen?