5498 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Firmware upgrade

vluu
Frequent Advisor

Firmware upgrade

Hi,

I have a DL380 G4, with 6 36GB scsi drives. For some reason, I am unable to upgrade the firmware. I mount the latest Firmware CD ISO using virtual media, and the Server is able to boot from it. Once it loads the "select language" page, I can not click the "continue"
button with my mouse or toggle with my keyboard.

I am able to run the ISO from windows but it does not detect that the HDs need an upgrade, where during boot-up, I get a message to upgrade te firm.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
8 REPLIES 8
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you see this, because you updated all components manually an now you have the latest versions of the components (Smart array 6i is important in this situation), but the HDDs are very old version.

The minimal required for the 6i FW v 2.80 for this modell is B11.
The FW CD 8.0 has the B016, which is maybe 7-8 hops above your hdds.
The POST messages to update the HDD firmware were added with FW 2.74A.

What you can try is to downgrade the SA 6i to 2.66 or 2.74 and try to boot FW CD again.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397634&prodNameId=3288132&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-1e83942f366d4882ae7f45616e&mode=3

If success, then update the controler ASAP to 2.76(afaik there are some bugs with 2.80 and duplex backplane config in this server)

If the problem is still the same and BIOS is uptodate(like ilo and 6i), you can use an older version of the Firmware maintenace CD and update in 2-3 steps, because of the big firmware difference between HDDs and ctrl

Hope this helps

Regards
vluu
Frequent Advisor

Pac,

I'll try to downgrade, I guess I will have to force the install to downgrade it....I'll try it and let you know.

Thanks
vluu
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I was able to force the downgrade of the SA 6i controller, rebooted and ran the Firmware upgrade CD.

The Smart Update Manager was able to detect that the 6i controller has an update and gave me the option to install the update. But it still does not notices that the Hard Drives need an update, but I still get the message at POST that it is recommended to upgrade the Hard Drives Firmware.

Is there a way for me to force the install of the Hard drive firmware? If so, what file is it exactly, cpqXXXXXX.exe???

Thanks
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

file name is cp005935.scexe - you can use it as an addition to FW Cd.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=MTX-UNITY-I23662тМй=en&cc=us&idx=1&mode=4&

under revision history, you can try first with 011 and if you suceed to try again.

Installation:
Download this smart component and save it to a floppy disk.
Boot the server from the Firmware Maintenance CD version 7.0 or later.
Run the ROM Update Utility.
Follow the instructions found under the "Supplemental Disk" tab to install the update from the floppy disk.

You must play with the firmwares, it is not very pleasant activity....

Other thing you can do is to :

1) run ADU(array diag. utility) and check which FW version is on the drives.
2)Then from revision history to check the release date...
3) then check in the controller firmware revision history the version actual for this date, downgrade to this version and then the drives should be detected as update-able too...

Long story and worse- I'm not sure it will help

Regards
vluu
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I'm not sure how to use this cp005935.sexe file, don't I need an .exe file??

Also, Can I take an older Firmware CD version, like 7.40 and force downgrades from it some way?

Thanks
vluu
Frequent Advisor

Hi everyone.

I think the Firmwar CD Smart Update Manager is unable to update the 4 drives (out 0f 6) because the first two hard drives in slot (SCSI 0 & 1) already have the updated firmware, the other 4 drives were inserted after I did a first firmware upgrade.

Anyone know how I can force a downgrade on the first two drives?

Thanks
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

>>I'm not sure how to use this cp005935.sexe file, don't I need an .exe file??

The .exe is an online update under windows(AFAIK not available for SCSI drives). The .scexe is linux executable or SUM supplemental update - you need SUM to install the updates(runs linux kernel).

So if you boot FW CD and load SUM, and add the .scexe from USB, you can execute them.

>> Also, Can I take an older Firmware CD version, like 7.40 and force downgrades from it some way?

Yes, you can

>> Anyone know how I can force a downgrade on the first two drives?

with older FW CD or again to boot FW CD, go to the supplemental update tab and load the .scexe from other media...

If someone has ideas wil be hapy to hear, this is what I see as a possibility.

Regards
vluu
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Where can I find the "supplement update tab".

All the tabs I see are: home, what's new, release notes, firmware update (not in here, support, value packs, and licenses.

Thanks