1752569 Members
5238 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: First time install of 2K Server on new SVR

Edward Bernard

First time install of 2K Server on new SVR

Hello,
I have the Proliant ML350 server with the Smart Array 532 Controller. This is my first time setting up a server so please bear with me and the questions. The svr is a dual 2.0 Ghz Xeon system, 2 Gb of Ram, and five HD's. I have intalled all the hardware, gone through the Smart Start and set the array as the primary boot device. I will run the Smart Start CD for the Assisted installation of the OS. Now here are my questions-
1. I was going to use Raid 1 (for the system & boot volumes) and RAID 5 for the data volumes. Since this is a HW implementation of RAID will it be possible to use RAID completely?
2. If yes, will I designate this in Disk Administrator when setting up the voulmes or will there be another way?

I really need help getting started and want to install this right the first time. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
6 REPLIES 6
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Use the Array Configuration Utility Luke!

If you have a 532 in there, use that, and stay away from Windows software raid.

The 532 is not the most powerfull array controller for the job, so depending what you plan on doing with your server, it may be worth upgrading to a 5300 series. But, you won't know till you try it.

You should create your RAID arrays BEFORE you install your OS.
Edward Bernard

Thanks for the reply, would that entail using the ORCA setup? And with regards to staying away from the Windows software RAID do I desgnate anything in Disk Admin then or just leave it at the default setting which would be basic disks (although you have to upgrade to dynamic disks to use RAID but I guess we are talking hardware versus software? Well, it was going to be an F & P svr with AD and DNS for starters, nothing too major.

Matthew Hargraves

OK, since this is going to be a file/print server, go ahead and use (as the other person said) the system utilities that come on the SmartStart CD to configure all of the drives.

Don't use the automatic, since it will try doing something probably completely against what you want to accomplish, I think the option that you want is either custom or advanced. I can't remember offhand. I'm pretty sure that it's custom though.

Configure your RAID 1 first, then configure the RAID 5. When you go into Windows there will literally be nothing that you have to do beyond creating a logical drive for the 2nd drive and then formatting that logical drive. Windows will see the RAID 1 physical drives as 1 logical drive and the same with the RAID 5 physical drives. No matter how many drives you add in, Windows will always only see it as 1 drive. That is the beauty of hardware RAID as opposed to software RAID.

As I stated though, you will have to partition and format the RAID 5 'drive', since that probably won't be done during the OS install.

Matt
Edward Bernard

MAtt, thanks for the reply that makes things a little clearer. With regards to the final step:

"As I stated though, you will have to partition and format the RAID 5 'drive', since that probably won't be done during the OS install."

I take it this last step can be done through the Disk Admin. in Windows?

Edward
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

You will create the array and logical drive in the Array Configuration utility. You will format the drive in Windows (either during the setup or after it's installed).
Edward Bernard

Thanks Tom!