4029 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Flashing Firmware

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ram10

Flashing Firmware

I have a HP ML10 Gen9 server which has the firmware version 1.007 I have been trying to install the latest firmware version 1.10 which I have downloaded from the HP website.

My server is running Linux Mint Silvia 18.3.

The instructions on the website are:

1. Download the zip file to a directory on a target server.
  2. Unzip to a temporary directory.
  3. Open " Linuxflash_with_BATCH " folder and 5 files and one directory will be displayed.
    • ROM_Flash_Utility folder
    • Linuxflash.sh.swp
    • Linuxflash.sh
    • readme.txt
    • release_note.txt
      (Note: Use flash utility on Linux 64bit kernel 2.6.x or above)
  4. Open terminal and type the following:
        "cd /root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/ROM_Flash_Utility"
  5. Type the following:
        "chmod -R 777 Linuxflash.sh"
  6. Type the following:
        "./Linuxflash.sh"
  7. When Flash process is completed it will automatically direct back to the command line
  8. Restart system when flash complete
  9. After system restarts, verify that the ROM version is 1.10. The BIOS version displays in the BIOS set

When I follow the instructions I end up with this error:
ram-ML10Gen9 Linuxflash_with_BATCH # ls
1.10 Linuxflash.sh readme.txt release_note.txt ROM_Flash_Utility
ram-ML10Gen9 Linuxflash_with_BATCH # chmod -R 777 Linuxflash.sh
ram-ML10Gen9 Linuxflash_with_BATCH # ./Linuxflash.sh
/root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/.temp/amifldrv.c:42:1: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
module_init(amifldrv_init_module);
^
/root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/.temp/amifldrv.c:42:1: error: type defaults to тАШintтАЩ in declaration of тАШmodule_initтАЩ [-Werror=implicit-int]
/root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/.temp/amifldrv.c:42:1: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
/root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/.temp/amifldrv.c:43:1: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
module_exit(amifldrv_cleanup_module);
^
/root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/.temp/amifldrv.c:43:1: error: type defaults to тАШintтАЩ in declaration of тАШmodule_exitтАЩ [-Werror=implicit-int]
/root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/.temp/amifldrv.c:43:1: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
/root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/.temp/amifldrv.c:14:12: warning: тАШamifldrv_init_moduleтАЩ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
static int amifldrv_init_module(void)
^
/root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/.temp/amifldrv.c:22:13: warning: тАШamifldrv_cleanup_moduleтАЩ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
static void amifldrv_cleanup_module(void)
^
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[2]: *** [/root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/.temp/amifldrv.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/.temp] Error 2
make: *** [default] Error 2
10 - Error: Unable to load driver.
ram-ML10Gen9 Linuxflash_with_BATCH #

The flash does not happen.

I have tried the same process with the downloaded firmware in different locationf with the same error occurring.

Any pointer or help to help me get this job done would be very much appricated.

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread.

7 REPLIES 7
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

As far as I understand from the log, the issue could be with Linux Kernel compatibility.

I was looking at these two lines:
error: type defaults to тАШintтАЩ in declaration of тАШmodule_initтАЩ [-Werror=implicit-int]
warning: тАШamifldrv_init_moduleтАЩ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]

Here is a similar post, where customer updated the bios using Windows OS.
https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Firmware-update-on-Linux/m-p/6993323

Here is the Windows version of BIOS update.
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=1008772172&swItemId=MTX_1688e33d154340baaecb72b538

Thank You!

I am a HPE employee

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Ram10

Yes this is definatly a compatabilty issue but surely HP should relesase a new firmware rather me having to install a different OS... I am being told to upgrade my firmware by HP support as I have a problem with my server but the flashing software does not work...

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Ram10wrote:

Yes this is definatly a compatabilty issue but surely HP should relesase a new firmware rather me having to install a different OS... I am being told to upgrade my firmware by HP support as I have a problem with my server but the flashing software does not work...

Use the offline SPP which doesn't depend on the host OS.  You can create a custom SPP image for just your system(s) so you don't have to download the whole SPP.

https://spp.hpe.com/custom/#/

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Ram10

Thanks for the link Jimmy Vance that looks very interesting... I'll look into it over the weekend..

PaulP-Cambs
Occasional Advisor
Solution

That looks like a usefull tool - but the ML10 Gen9 doesn't seem to be supported by it.

It wasn't one of the selectable ML server options on the filter page when I tried it just now.

You might be able to run the windows bios flash file from WindowsPE if you copy it to a windows install USB to save actually installing windows?

Other optimism... HP are likely to release new bios soon as the 1.10 version dosen't yet include the intel microcode that mitigates spectre/meltdown (I don't think) - when they do the linux version may even work again!!

Ram10

Thanks for the inout PaulP

I came to the same conclusion & also the SPP is actually older than the Firmware I need to install so even if it was compatable it would not have solved my problem.

Hopfully the new Firmware will be released soon and take care of my random shutdowns

Ram10

So the new Firmware (ML10_Gen9_BIOS_1.11_Linux.zip) has been released and I still get the same error when I try to install it!

ram-ML10Gen9 ram # cd /root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH
ram-ML10Gen9 Linuxflash_with_BATCH # ls
1.11 Linuxflash.sh readme.txt release_note.txt ROM_Flash_Utility
ram-ML10Gen9 Linuxflash_with_BATCH # chmod -R 777 Linuxflash.sh
ram-ML10Gen9 Linuxflash_with_BATCH # ./Linuxflash.sh
/root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/.temp/amifldrv.c:42:1: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
module_init(amifldrv_init_module);
^
/root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/.temp/amifldrv.c:42:1: error: type defaults to тАШintтАЩ in declaration of тАШmodule_initтАЩ [-Werror=implicit-int]
/root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/.temp/amifldrv.c:42:1: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
/root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/.temp/amifldrv.c:43:1: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
module_exit(amifldrv_cleanup_module);
^
/root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/.temp/amifldrv.c:43:1: error: type defaults to тАШintтАЩ in declaration of тАШmodule_exitтАЩ [-Werror=implicit-int]
/root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/.temp/amifldrv.c:43:1: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
/root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/.temp/amifldrv.c:14:12: warning: тАШamifldrv_init_moduleтАЩ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
static int amifldrv_init_module(void)
^
/root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/.temp/amifldrv.c:22:13: warning: тАШamifldrv_cleanup_moduleтАЩ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
static void amifldrv_cleanup_module(void)
^
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[2]: *** [/root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/.temp/amifldrv.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/root/Desktop/Linuxflash_with_BATCH/.temp] Error 2
make: *** [default] Error 2
10 - Error: Unable to load driver.
ram-ML10Gen9 Linuxflash_with_BATCH #