1753839 Members
9679 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Flexible Memory Mode ML

MEDYOUNI_1

Flexible Memory Mode ML

Hi,
i ve got a problem with a ML350 G3, when i start the server, i 've a merror message, then the server is blocked :
"Redundant ROM detected: this system contains a valid backup system ROM.
Flexible Memory Mode: Non-Interleaved Mode"
I changed the Bracket/Guide and PC Board and the PowerModule, always the same message......
Please, help me!
1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Flexible Memory Mode ML

Welcome to the ITRC Forums!

Those messages look like normal informational messages to me, not errors.

The "Redundant ROM detected..." message indicates the firmware is good. It means "The primary firmware is running OK, and the backup firmware seems to be good too."

The "Flexible Memory Mode" message sounds like your memory configuration may not match with the recommended/tested configurations. The server is trying to make the memory configuration work, but it cannot perform miracles.

"Non-Interleaved Mode" indicates the current memory configuration cannot offer the best performance. So your memory configuration is clearly not optimal.

As the error persists after all the parts you've changed, some sort of configuration error is possible.

Here's the Maintenance and Service Guide for your server, available through http://www.hp.com/go/support link:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01126864/c01126864.pdf

On page 46 (aka 2-31) it says: "Do not mix ECC and non-ECC DIMMs. If different types of DIMMs are mixed, the system will not function properly."

Also read page 73 (aka 4-11) and check the system board LEDs. They might point out the failing component for you.

If nothing else helps, test the server with the most minimal configuration possible, i.e. only one CPU and one memory module. If the server starts up successfully, test each module in turn. If some modules allow the server to boot and one won't when installed alone, that module has failed.

Then test the memory in pairs. Test all the combinations: maybe there are two memory modules that cannot work when paired with each other.

MK
MK