108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Four 10G Ethernet ports in DL360 G7

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike Carlson_3
Occasional Advisor

Four 10G Ethernet ports in DL360 G7

The QuickSpecs for the DL360 G7 state "No more than two 10GbE I/O devices are supported in a single ProLiant server."
Is this a limitation on ports or adapters? Can I install two NC550SPF adapters for a total of four ports?
5 REPLIES 5
Ali
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi Mike,

10 Gigabit Ethernet Adapters
NOTE: No more than two 10GbE I/O devices are supported in a single ProLiant server.
NOTE: A minimum of two Gigabytes (2 GB) of server memory is required per each adapter.

this limitation is for no of adapters not for no of ports.

You can install two NC550SPF adapters.

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

rick jones
Honored Contributor

Minor nit - HP does not certify that the 10GbE adaptors it sells can protect one from UVA/UVB rays, so it is "SFP" not "SPF" in NC550 et al :)
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Probably because the PCIe bus would get maxed out by that much bandwidth. 20 Gbps team is 2.5 GBps of data transfer. I doubt the PCIe bus would handle more than that.

I can't see why you would need more than a 2.5 GB/s of data transfer. Even with the largest databases, that is a tremendous amount to data to move. You are talking millions of rows per second.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

99 times out of 10, each PCIe slot is its own "bus" and a PCIe Gen2 x8 slot has sufficient bandwidth (theoretical at least) to drive a dual-port 10GbE NIC to a quite reasonable level of throughput across both ports at the same time. Now, whether a given IOH has enough upstream bandwidth to drive at rate all the PCIe lanes it exports is a good question, but that isn't a PCIe "bus" at that point :)
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Mike Carlson_3
Occasional Advisor

Thanks. I need the ports for redundancy, I don't think any of the links will be close to saturated.