ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753862 Members
7306 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Freezes during Windows 2003 Server install

Fredrik Grufman

Freezes during Windows 2003 Server install

DL380 G4 w. 6GB RAM, 6 73GB hd's and 2 3.2GHz Xeon CPUs.

Whenever I try to install Windows SB Server 2003 R2 it freezes completly. I'm starting the server with the HP SmartStart 8.1 CD, loads the 2003 software from brand new original CD's and then, boom - freeze. Normally when it's installing hardware, network or just finishing windows installation.

I've tried with less memory modules, with 1 cpu instead of 2, i've updated the firmwares with HP Firmware CD 8.2 to no avail. When it crashes, 2 LED-lights turn amber on the motherboard. One is "MC" and the other one is "IE". I suspect MC means memory controller,
IE might mean "interrupt enable", but i don't know for sure.
I spoke with HP support but they have no clue. I've run the diagnostic disc for hours testing every component, and everything checks out fine.

Please note, it freezes in different places all the time.

Do you have any suggestions?
10 REPLIES 10
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

did HP tell to try clear NVRAM? if not try it

also don't use smartstart at all use just the W2003 CD

where exactly are you getting this error?

anyway also you can try this usign smartstart CD, go to maintain server - run erase utilty - reboot and reconfigure your RAID again and try installing again

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Fredrik Grufman

Now i've tried installing the os without smartstart. Same problem. I freezes after installing the network components. Before i tried installing this time i did a complete rebuild of the raid system, i've also cleared the nvram. Suggestions?
Gary Antonio Benavides_1
Frequent Advisor

Was the issue resolved? did you try a slipstreaming CD? Check this just in case it is not specific for the DL380 G4, but might help

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00788496тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=2510357&prodTypeId=15351
If it's not fun, you're not doing it right
Proliantstud
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Try erasing the system using the Smart Start CD (NVRAM with DISK) and attempt a fresh install (RAID and logical drive should be configured). If the issue persists, check the maintenance switch positions. All has to be in off position.

Cheers,
Anand
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

well you talk to HP already do you have warranty on that box?

if you have done enough troubleshooting I would say System Board is the culprit here
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Fredrik Grufman

Hi.

Today I managed to do a complete install of windows 2003 sbs r2. However, after 1-5 minutes of using the system, it locks up completly. I can leave it untouched, it still locks up. No warranty left :-(

IE and MC lights on the motherboard lights up. Suggestions?
Proliantstud
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Press and hold the power button for 20 second and power drain the server. Install both the processors. Wear Antistatic band and remove the memory modules. Touch the gold plated contacts to the access lid metal plates. (Contacts on both sides). Install the DIMMs.
Remove the PCI raiser cage. Remove the Mouse and Keyboard. Power on the server and check the satus in the login screen.

If the system is stable, configure ILO2 and try logging the server using ILO2. If the system is still stable, isolate the components and fix the issue.

Best of luck

Anand
Fredrik Grufman

i've tried running the system with only 2 dimms. Still crashes. Replaced those 2 dimms with 2 other... still crashes.

Tried running the computer with only 1 cpu, but then it crashes when starting windows. Both cpu's behave the same. As soon as i install both cpu's, it boots into windows, but it crashes within 1-5 minutes.
I've replaced the pci ricer and both power modules to no avail.... :-(

I'm beginning to think there is really a hardware issue here...
Proliantstud
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

System Board Debug LEDs decode is as follows:

Reference Designator-Function-Description
CR43 (IE)-IERR-PROCESSOR IERR P1-P2
CR46 (MC)-MCERR_-MACHINE EXCEPTION CHECK

WIll get more information and will post another reply.

Regards,
Anand