108789 Solutions
New Discussion

G10 SPP 2021.04.0 create on usb key utility 3.0 can't boot

SOLVED
Go to solution
xiaoV
Occasional Visitor

G10 SPP 2021.04.0 create on usb key utility 3.0 can't boot

When I boot the G10 SPP 2021.04.0 which create on usb key utility 3.0,it can‘t boot,so where i can find the solution to solve the problem 

26 REPLIES 26
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: G10 SPP 2021.04.0 create on usb key utility 3.0 can't boot

Hi,

Here is the Gen10 SPP 2021.04.0 Release Notes.

According to that there are no compability issues mentioned.

Try with a different USB key.
Check in the BIOS if USB Boot option is enabled.
Try other means of SPP installation to make sure the SPP downloaded is not corrupt.

Thank You!
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

FezUSA
Visitor

Are you getting the GRUB prompt?  If so then the issue is related to the USB Key Utilitiy tool.  HP knows about the issue and claims it was fixed in 2020.09.0, however I've tried the 2020.09.1 tool and that did not change anything.  Unfortunately HP's advisory is to use the version found in SP 2020.03.0 or earlier, which is no longer available.  The download center has a couple of older versions of the USB tool so I'm going to try those.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00109613en_us&docLocale=en_US

FezUSA
Visitor

Also, make sure the USB drive is NOT bigger than 32GB!

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

What server model do you try to boot?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
gsb88
Occasional Advisor

I got the Grub error on the same USB stick that just had 2020.9 working on it. So I just did Remote Console and used the remote iso mount from my work PC and gave up on the USB stick

Sebasbin
HPE Pro

Hi,

I would suggest to download the G10 SPP 2021.04.0  Image once again 
>>Extract the SPP ISO Image to the folder 
>>Open the extracted folder and then open the "usb" folder and run the usbkey.exe
>>Follow the onscreen instructions to create usb bootable with SPP.
>>Also you can mount the SPP image via ILO virtual media and boot from the SPP to update the server . 

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

xiaoV
Occasional Visitor

I follow your suggestion,but when I boot the SPP 2021.04.0 from USB stick also get the GRUB prompt! 

So can't I try another USB stick utility?

And I mount the SPP image via ILO virtual media and Success boot from the SPP to update the server!

AndyB2X
Regular Visitor

I've got the same issue.  I even tried it with the USB creator from 2020.03 that I had in my downloads folder - still no luck.  I put a ticket in but they won't help over email.  

FezUSA
Visitor
Solution

I finally figured this out definitively for my environment!  Using a 32GB flash drive, I "mount" the downloaded ISO file (latest SPP > 2021040) and navigate to the USB > USBKey folder and launch USBkey.exe

When the utility opens, point it to the mounted CD/DVD drive that you just launched the utility from, NOT the ISO file.  Then run it against the USB drive (create the USB drive).

Once done, remove the USB drive and put it in your server and reboot > F11 > from the boot menu choose the USB drive

Decide on auto or manual update and go!

While figuring this out and trying different versions of the utility and alternative 3rd party utilities for creating the USB drive, I also successfully connected to the iLO and used remote console (HTML5) and used virtual media pointed to the ISO file on my workstation, then booted the server to legacy boot menu and chose the virtual CD drive