108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: G10 SPP 2021.04.0 create on usb key utility 3.0 can't boot

SOLVED
Go to solution
AndyB2X
Regular Visitor

This worked, hopefully OP posts this as the solution for those having trouble.  Thanks FezUSA.  

TTECS
Occasional Visitor

Also works with the Gen9/Gen10 5/21 SPP

DimitryB

Same problem here.  i've got a Grub prompt whwn booting from the USB

FezUSA
Visitor

Did you follow my instructions from my post 04/28/2021 to create the USB key?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> When the utility opens, point it to the mounted CD/DVD drive that you just launched the utility from, NOT the ISO file. 

This works for me too.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
DimitryB

Yes pointed to the CD Drive and that was indeed the solution. But now i'm frustrated why it works this way. 

Thanks for the solution.

Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Hi,

I hope you are not using the front service port as the usb port.
Use the usb ports on the back of the server and use usb 3.0 key.

HPE Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) update with ILO 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghA2B91my6s

Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

AndyB2X
Regular Visitor

Erdogan,

Respectfully - 

Nobody is having the issue where we cannot see the USB stick, which would happen if we were using the service port.  The normal front USB port is totally serviceable.  The issue is, for some reason, a USB stick cannot be correctly made using the inlcuded USB Key utility without first mounting the ISO file and then using that to point to in the USB Key utlity.  Obviously it would be much more intuitive to just point to the ISO file while using the utility, but for some reason, that does not make a stick that will boot into the SPP, it will boot to a GRUB prompt instead.  HPE could help by correcting the error between the USB Key utility and the SPP so that you can point directly to the ISO file again to create the USB key, which is more intuitive for most users and was the way it worked prior to the 09.2020 SPP.  Then they wouldn't have to pop onto the web and research the issue.

Thanks

Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Hello,

Customer Advisory: (Revision) HPE Service Pack For ProLiant (SPP) - SPP Version 2020.03.2 and 2021.04.0 USBKEY.EXE Utility for Microsoft Windows Operating Systems Does Not Function Properly

RESOLUTION

This issue has been addressed in SPP version 2020.09.0 for SPP version 2020.03.2

For SPP 2021.04.0, as a workaround, use usbkey from previous a version of SPP such as SPP 2020.03.0 or any third party usbkey utilities to create a bootable SPP from the ISO image.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00109613en_us

Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

AndyB2X
Regular Visitor

I can confirm the workaround will work but ONLY if you mount the ISO as a drive.  It will not work if you point to the ISO as the image, no matter if it's an old version of the USB key utility or not.  

I also tried it with Rufus (as the same problem exists there if you point to the ISO as an image).  

To give it a try - use the USB Key utility from any version of the SPP, then point to the ISO file as the image.  The image created will boot to a grub prompt instead of into the SPP program when inserted into a Gen10 Server.  

If the workaround of mounting the ISO as a drive was included in that advisory, that would probably help people who see that advisory but don't keep searching to find this forum post.