cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G3 Not Booting

Calbrit01
Occasional Contributor

G3 Not Booting

We have a G3 that had its boot order changed from SAN to hard drives. It would not boot from the hard drives so they were removed. Now the server will not boot at all even off Smartstart CD or floppy. Any ideas?

Thanks
4 REPLIES
Calbrit01
Occasional Contributor

Re: G3 Not Booting

BTW, its a dl360,

C
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hello!

A few questions:

What is the current boot order?

Change boot order from SAN to hdd? Was it booting from SAN before or was the OS installed on the local hard drives?

Do you get any error messages in the POST or while booting? How far does the boot go?

What version of smartstart are you using? Is it compatible with the DL360 G3?
Calbrit01
Occasional Contributor

Thanks fr the reply.

The boot order was SAN first then HDD, so we just moved up the on board controller to boot first. There were no hard drives in the machine, and we needed to check the mother board from another G3 was ok, so used the drives from that machine. The drives went so far, then one appeared to fail. We removed them, and then tried to get back in to the BIOS to reset the order. The machine just sits there and does nothing, it wont even boot of the SmartStart CD or the floppy - i.e. all we get is a blank screen. however, the indicators on the front - top heartbeat in the square is red, which I believe is an internal issue?
I believe only our way forward now is maybe to do a hardware reset on the mother board using the DIP switches. Not sure where this will leave us - will this reset and allow us to then boot off the SmartStart CD, and start again?

Thanks for your help..
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Ah, yeah go with a reset on the DIP switch. It's DIP 6 on the system maintenance switch.

turn off, set switch, boot up for a little while, then shut off, deactivate switch and boot up again

One thing that might be worth trying would be to unplug any unneccessary hardware, to just have the minimal needed to get it to boot.

usually 2x memory modules and 1x cpu