HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G5 DL380 BIOS/Boot issue

william spooner
Occasional Visitor

G5 DL380 BIOS/Boot issue

Each time I reboot this server it requires a complete shutdown and removal of poewr cords. It then takes approximatley 10 minutes before it begins to post. When I enter the bios I have to supply the language format. Each field I toggle to has a delyed response of 5 - seconds. I have used the supplied firmware upgrade disk but it replies that updates aren't needed. The bios keeps the time so I don't think it is the battery. Any suggestions? Need more info I will gladly provide
4 REPLIES
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Re: G5 DL380 BIOS/Boot issue

Clear the nvram of the server using the switch on the motherboard then. Re-flash the BIOS again and check. If there is any additional card remove it and check it again.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
william spooner
Occasional Visitor

Hving trouble finding the switch. There is a bank of switches but they don't specify nvram reset. Two of them do read reserved.

Is the switch under something? The motherboard diagram on the case doesn't have it listed, Ill try to find a better diagram
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi William,

Please see the attached pdf file with the system board layout. Item 9 is the maintenance switchpack and switch 6 is the one you need to set to on ro invalidate the CMOS.

Regards,

Brian
william spooner
Occasional Visitor

Thank you both

I have cleared the nvram as you suggested and reflashed. The bios/setup is responding well and RAID Array/RBSU, but the initial boot still takes ten minutes. I ran the kickstart for redhat 3.0 anyway and it fails. generic fatal error. So I'm leaning towards a defective motherboard.