5500 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: GB1000EAMYC hard drive running f/w:HPG3 blinking blue and locking up

Jeffery_Smith
Advisor

GB1000EAMYC hard drive running f/w:HPG3 blinking blue and locking up

Hello,

We have a Proliant ML330 G6 with dual GB1000EAMYC (1TB HD) running in RAID+1 configuration.  The lights have been blinking blue for a bit, but I have been unconcerned as the server was running fine.  Friday, the server locked up with an IML message "Internal SAS Enclosure Device Failure (Bay 1, Box 1, Port 1I, Slot 0)".  Other than that error, the managment page and array utility don't show a problem other than the rebuild caused by the server locking up on the above failure.  It locked again on Saturday w/o the device error listed in the IML, but with an array rebuild being required.  I figured that updating the firmware for the drives was a good idea, but they will not update.  I tried the following:

1. Downloaded cp020448.exe and tried to run it, but it reported that the required hardware isn't installed.
  2. Downloaded cp016173.exe and tried to run it, but it reported that the required hardware isn't installed
  3. My Array diagnostics clearly reports that I have "model: ATA GB1000EAMYC" and "f/w ver: HPG3" for both drives.

Since neither of these firmware updates work, I'm unsure how to proceed.  Is there an offline bootable version I can build a CD to run from?  Do I have to find HPG4 and HPG5 and apply those before appying HPG6?  

Thanks,

Jeff

16 REPLIES 16
System_Headache
Advisor

Hello,

The following steps are recommanded:

• Update the BIOS to the latest
  • Update the firmware of the controller by downloading the HP Smart Update

Since you have an ML330 G6, I have no clue which controller you are using:

• HP Smart Array P212/256 BBWC 1-ports Int/1-ports Ext PCIe x8 FIO SAS Controller 491191-B21
  • HP Smart Array P410/ZM 2-ports Int PCIe x8 FIO SAS Controller 462860-B21
  • HP Smart Array P410/256 BBWC 2-ports Int PCIe x8 FIO SAS Controller 491195-B21
  • HP Smart Array P411/256 BBWC 2-ports Ext PCIe x8 FIO SAS Controller 491193-B21

Check the one you have and search for its drivers... there will always be an HP Smart download you burn on a CD/DVD and boot from it. It will update the firmware and should provide the stability.

Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Hi @Jeffery_Smith

Can you upload the adu report. Then we can give the right answer.

Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

Jeffery_Smith
Advisor

Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Hi @Jeffery_Smith

Perform a general update with the Smart Update Firmware DVD 10.10.
It has hard disk firmware HPG6.

Smart Update Firmware DVD 10.10 Download Link.

Kind Regards,
Erdogan.

Accept or Kudo

Jeffery_Smith
Advisor

Thanks for the great info,

I noticed as I was about to download it that it was coming from a Taiwan website, so I went to find it on the US HPE.COM website and can only find 10.00 instead of the 10.10 you have listed. Do you have the link for the 10.10 version on HPE's US site?

Also, I'm a bit concerned. This server is the primary storage for a small church I do work for. The unit is no longer under warranty, and while updating a flakey HDD's F/W is a reasonable risk, doing "a collection of firmware" is a bit scary.  I've never had a firmware bomb out on an HP server or HP server device, but I'm wondering how reliable are the firmware updates?  I'd like to give a reasonable risk statement to the office manager before starting the firmware updates.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeffery_Smith
Advisor

Nevermind on the Smart Update Firmware DVD 10.10. Despite the main link calling it 10.00, when I clicked through the description to see what it said, it lists it as 10.10.

I would still really love an answer to the reliability of the firmware updates so I can bring this option up with the office manager and make sure they are aware of any risk. If HP has documented information that woudl be awesome. If not, any insight the experts here can offer would be wonderful.

Thanks,
Jeff

Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Hi,

You can safely do the update.It does not damage the raid.
You can download it from HPE sites if the server has a warranty
http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=3948601&swItemId=MTX_4372f442c3424063809e3d9198&swEnvOid=4064

Kind Regards,
Erdogan.

Accept or Kudo

Jeffery_Smith
Advisor

I've done the updates before at other clients, but always when the server was under warranty. I'm more interested in knowing what percentage breakage there is with the HP firmware updates as this client would be in deep trouble and be unable to afford replacing the server if it was bricked.  I imagine hp has done some study of breakage when applying f/w updates... if not, has anyone here ever bricked a device or server doing the firmware updates?

Should I do the offline interactive and only apply the RAID controller?  From the readme, it sounds like in automatic mode that it will try to update every firmware on my system that is out-of-date.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeffery_Smith
Advisor

I'm not sure if the lack of responses means that no one has ever had a failed f/w update or if no one wants to comment on their experiences.  I explained to the office manager that there is some risk with any firmware update, but in my experience that the HP Business system f/w udpates are very stable.  I downloaded the 10.10 ISO and I've scheduled to do the work on Thursday.  I plan to let the smart firmware dvd 10.10 do whatever updates it thinks is appropriate.  "In for a penny, in for a pound, right?"  I will let you know how it goes and assign the solution assuming nothing goes horribly wrong. ;)

Thanks again for the help,

Jeff