108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: GEN8 Drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

GEN8 Drives

Does anyone know if I will be able to use old G5/G6/G7 drives in the new Gen8 servers, or is that new "HP Smart Drive carrier" going to require a brand new drive type?

Thanks,

Nelson

20 REPLIES 20
gsb_2
Regular Advisor

From the QA page on Gen 8

"G7 drives and memory are not recommended on Gen8 products."

rguha
Advisor
Solution

No, we cannot use the drives from G5/G6/G7 as the drive carrier has changed in G8. It has been reduced. 

There are also LED displays on drive carriers to indicate their state, including one to alert administrators when a drive is rebuilding so they don't pull the drive before it's complete.

How to say thank you? Please click the white Kudos star :)
Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Smart Drive Carriers are needed for drives in Gen8 server, drives from earlier generations cannot be used in Gen8 and Gen8 drives cannot fit in older gen's. Drivers are less smaller in Gen8 and status leds have been changed dramatically.

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Thanks to all that replied.

Allan_C

Is there a part number for empty drive trays? I would like to install Intel SLC SSD's in my new ML360p Gen8 and the HP Part Number 378343-002 drive trays don't fit.

Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Gen8 hdd drive carrier trays are not sold separately.
Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
kanchisharma
Advisor

Gen8 Hard drives are designed to reduce multiple HDD failures hence the concept of the Various LED have been introduced, HP recommends use of HDD which are designed for Gen8 Only, Hdd Tray cant be purchased as there is a firmware sign also involved and other 3rd party hdd or non compatible hdd will not work..
J_Ratcliffe

This is disappointing to learn.  I'm not sure if I should try to resell all our storage or try to return the server.

jsprous

This is very discouraging.  If we cannot buy empty drive carriers we will NOT be buying any HP servers newer than G7 series!  I refuse to be forced to buy an HP Branded hard drive when I could buy the same Hard drive without the HP name for less than half the price.