1753798 Members
7229 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: GeForce GTX Titan running PCIe 2.0 instead of PCIe 3.0 on ML350p Gen 8

ben_percer
Occasional Contributor

GeForce GTX Titan running PCIe 2.0 instead of PCIe 3.0 on ML350p Gen 8

We have been using an ML350p gen 8 server with Quadro 6000 graphic card for a CUDA GPU application to implement a printing image pipeline.  This works well, but we need to move to a PCIe 3.0 card for more throughput.  So, we installed an nVidia GeForce GTX Titan in slot 3 of the ML350p.  Unfortunately, it only runs at PCIe 2.0 speeds (5GT/s) even when under load.  The same Titan card runs PCIe 3.0 with same driver and OS (WS2012) in a Z820 workstation, which I think has the same chipset as the ML350p.  Does anyone have a clue about how to get this card to run PCIe 3.0 in the ML350p?  I made sure BIOS has PCIe 3.0 support enabled for the slot, and all the BIOS power options are set to max performance/power.  Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

This might not be a direct answer to your question but still here some findings.

HP ProLiant ML350p Generation 8 QuickSpecs states that "The ML350p Gen8 supports up to 3 graphic cards. HP Graphic Card Support Kit (660582-B21) will be required per Graphic Card."

And we are not sure if Titan card is supported on this server and with the Graphic Card Support Kit.

Here is the PCI-Express 3.0 technology and optimizations on HP Z820 Workstation pdf file.

But was unable to find similar PCIe 3.0 information for ML350p Gen8.

Just a suggestion, try if possible.  Install second processor and try the card in Slot 6 or 8.  Try updating the BIOS.

Good Luck.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Blaze77

Hi, Is this possible?- This is very important information for us.

ben_percer
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the suggestions.  We tried the card in slots 6 and 8 as well, but it still runs in PCIe 2.0 mode.  For the graphics cable, the Titan has the same power connectors as the Quadro 6000 although in a different position.  I have tried a single graphics power cable to both conectors, and I also tried two power cables, one from each power source connector under the fan cage to make sure the card was getting all the current it desires, but this did not help the card run PCIe 3.0 speeds.