1752798 Members
5582 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Gen 10 SPS and IE firmware corrupted, red LED flashing, no start

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Gen 10 SPS and IE firmware corrupted, red LED flashing, no start

I have a DL360 Gen 10 which doesn't want to power up anymore. When pressing the UID button, it tells me that the Innovation Engine (IE) and Server Platform Services (SPS) firmware is faulty. The power switch LED and the red fault LED are blinking.

I connected via iLO and tried to update and also downgrade the firmware(s) with no success. It just tells me that the firmware update has failed and that I should use a "signed" and valid version. All other firmware like mainboard, iLO etc. works fine and is now back on the level from delivery (2018).

Does someone have an idea what I can do to fix this? Is there a special version of IE and SPS firmware for this problem?

I could of course replace the board.... but I don't like to throw away a fully functional board just because the firmware has an issue. And a new board is about $2000, availability uncertain because of worldwide problems.

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
8 REPLIES 8
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

I only got iLO to work with and it reports actual firmware:

iLO 2.65 (updated through iLO with .bin file from 1.40)
IE 0.1.6.1 update/downgrade does not work, iLO reports "target not found". What kind of file do I need? bin? fwpkg? other?
SPS 4.0.4.288   do I have to update this first? What kind of file?

When I had iLO version 1.40, the error message was: "incompatible file, use signed software file..."

What files will work? What versions do I need? That's the question....

Richard75
Frequent Advisor

Hi , if you do the upgrade trough ilo you uses the fwpkg file, but you can try to boot with the new SPP : https://techlibrary.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/products/service_pack/spp/index.aspx

I work for many years with HPE products, but i don't work for HPE so this is not official support
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Booting is not possible because the server does not power up. Only iLO is working...

fwpkg files are not the only files that work. x.BIN files work too (i.e. for iLO) or x.FLASH files (for system ROM). I have been able to update all components fo far, except SPS and IE which give me errors like:
"No matching target found"
"Improper usage" (funny...)
"Update failed, error 31"

Richard75
Frequent Advisor

true , there are different types.

i am not sure if this will help, but sometimes the gen10  servers has weird issues. what helped me a few times was boot with switch 6  switched on to restore default manufacturing settings

I work for many years with HPE products, but i don't work for HPE so this is not official support
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

I already tried dipswitch 1+5+6.... but I will try only SW6 again. But I have not much hope for success. In the meantime I got a new board and the server works again.

I'm tempted to unsolder the many ROM chips form the board to see if I can re-flash them somehow. I just don't know where the IE and SPS firmware is hidden.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Try

lorest flashfwpkg <file_name.fwpkg> --url <iLO5_IP_Address> -u <iLO5_username> -p <iLO5_password>

see

https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=en_US&softwareId=MTX_30d462596ff1477bba528a8aa5&tab=Installation+Instructions

and https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?softwareId=MTX_daedb321fec6486495d78f2405&language=en_US&tab=Installation+Instructions

use this file

SPSGen10_04.01.04.601.fwpkg  (8.0 MB)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Condebart
Regular Visitor

Hello, I have the same problem, with a dl380 gen10, I have tried the same thing, to update by ilo, the switch 1,5,6 and nothing, from one day to the other it stopped working and shows the same 2 errors, it has been able get any solution to this problem without changing the motherboard?

thank you!
Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Condebart,

Thank you for posting! Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and assist you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo