1747987 Members
4949 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Gen10 with HBA SN1000q

CorbettEnders
Advisor

Gen10 with HBA SN1000q

Can someone please explain why the SN1000q host bus adapter is not compatible with the Gen10 server?  

This document shows it as Gen8/9 only. https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04154364

Yet in this published advisory for a Gen10 server, the card is included in the large list of cards impacted.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00019875en_us&docLocale=en_US

I fail to see fundamentally how the SN1100q and the SN1000q could be any different.

3 REPLIES 3
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: Gen10 with HBA SN1000q

Hello,

HPE 16Gb Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapter

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04154364.pdf

Servers Supported Select HPE ProLiant Gen8 , Gen9 & Gen10 servers
Notes: Refer to server Quick Specs for details regarding supported options

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

CorbettEnders
Advisor

That document, for the SN1000q mentions Gen8 and 9 only (see page 6).  

My question is, how could the SN1000q not be compatible with Gen10?  What is fundamentally different between the SN1000q and SN1100q ? 

If you look at advisory I post, it specifically mentions a Gen10 server and the SN1000q card... so that says to me they ARE compatible.  These cards are terribly expensive, I don't want to buy one if I don't have to (moving from a Gen8 to a Gen10 server).

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Please follow the information, I hope it will help you.

HPE StoreFabric SN1000 16Gb PCIe Host Bus Adapter - Overview

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c03207121#N10058

HPE StoreFabric SN1000 16Gb PCIe Host Bus Adapter - Overview

Product features

Feature

Description

Performance

Delivers, up to six times the IOPS, twice the data throughput (MB/s) and cuts latency by half compared to 8Gb FC HBAs

·         Best Fibre Channel IOPS, latency and throughput performance enables increased application and database transactions per second, enables faster large block transfers and increases the number of VMs that can be supported per server

HPE SN1100Q 16Gb Dual Port Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapter

Looking for a high-bandwidth HBA solution to meet the requirements of increasing server virtualization and consolidation? Finding it difficult to realize the full bandwidth potential of your server running I/O intensive applications? The HPE SN1100Q 16Gb Host Bus Adapters deliver twice the I/O performance of 8 Gb HBAs, it takes storage networking performance and efficiency to the next level. They enable rapid storage and retrieval of critical information when using high bandwidth cloud applications and storage-intensive applications such as backup, database transactions and rich media. Designed for increased virtual machine density and bandwidth requirements, the SN1100Q 16Gb HBA products enable more applications and virtual machines to run on a single server and port, resulting in reduced cabling. The SN1100Q 16Gb HBAs are backward compatible with 8 Gb and 4 Gb networks and will protect your current and future IT investments.

High-performance, Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapters

• The HPE SN1100Q 16Gb Host Bus Adapters deliver twice the I/O performance of 8 Gb Fibre Channel (FC) HBAs.
  • Moving to 16 Gb technology provides the infrastructure required for the more powerful servers and data-intensive applications in virtualized environments.
  • When using storage-intensive applications like backup/restore, database transactions, virtualization and rich media, the improved I/O performance enables faster storage and retrieval of data.
  • Designed to support emerging Non-Volatile Memory Express (NVMe) over Fibre Channel storage network.

I would request you contact to HPE sales team for more clarifications.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo