ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752701 Members
5787 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Gen8 v Gen9 BIOS - CLI AWOL? Serial upload/download of config no longer possible?

DeclanW
Occasional Collector

Gen8 v Gen9 BIOS - CLI AWOL? Serial upload/download of config no longer possible?

Hullo. I have received a Gen9 DL380, and as part of the normal build I inject/extract all the BIOS settings into it via its iLo serial port.

This was done in Gen8 by pushing SET CONFIG statements into the BIOS CLI mode, and you could retrieve the full BIOS resulting config with one command.

As far as I can see, the Gen9 BIOS has no CLI mode anymore?? (At the moment I'm missing the iLo serial port itself and using iLo ssh as it went AWOL from the first order, so there's a chance it only exist when that's installed?)

Have I something obvious? Can serial no longer be used to setup a HP server? (Massively time-consuming manual meatbag menu mazing with a is really not a practical alternative)

4 REPLIES 4
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Gen8 v Gen9 BIOS - CLI AWOL? Serial upload/download of config no longer possible?

The CLI is still there, I normally access via SSH, but as far as I know serial access hasn't changed.  With Gen9 a new tool has been added to help with automation and scripting configuration settings.  The RESTful Interface Tool http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/server-software/product-detail.html?oid=7630408#!tab=features

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
DeclanW
Occasional Collector

Well, I failed to find it in the manual, and the part in the Gen8 manual with the screenshot of where the menu option is, shows that I no longer have it in that menu now.

The Restful Interface I'm sure is shiny, but if I've bought a serial admin card, then I'm avoiding the network for a reason. e.g. there's a chicken/egg situation involving the server and the network, in either a trust, or functionality capacity.

DeclanW
Occasional Collector

Asked HP. Gen8 BIOS CLI is gone. Now I should be using the UEFI Shell.

It's completely different, so I've got lots of reading to do now to see what I gained and lost.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Glad you go an answer. In your origianl post you didn't mention you were avoiding the network or had bought a serial managment card.  I'm curious though as to what card you're adding

Regards

--jv

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!