1752857 Members
3691 Online
108790 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Generic Hard Drives

paul.hardwick

Generic Hard Drives

Hi,

I'm planning on buying a new ML370 G6 Server, and I already have 3x 1TB generic SATA drives that I use for non-essential backups on the server i'm replacing. Is it possible to attach generic SATA drives internally to the ML370 G6?
I do not need them to be hot swappable. I just need them to be attached to the server internally, and be able to use RAID5 to have a total of 2TB array.

Thanks!
Paul
6 REPLIES 6
paul.hardwick

Ok, so I've found out that the ML370's only take SAS drives (in the front, hot-swappable section). Is it possible to mount them internally though? and still have them connected to the internal RAID controller?

Also, I was worried that it might void my 3yr onsite warranty, but I found this on HP's website:

Q17. Will my warranty be affected if I install a non-HP upgrade/option in my HP product ?

HP warranty extends only to HP products and options. If you install a non-HP option into your HP product and this option then fails, you must contact the supplier for warranty cover on that item.

The warranty on your HP product will not be affected by the installation of a non-HP upgrade/option unless your HP product is damaged as a result of installation and/or operation of a third party option, such damage will not be covered by HP warranty.

If your HP product is not operating correctly, you may be asked to verify that any non-HP option is not responsible for the problem be uninstalling any such items.

http://h40059.www4.hp.com/warranty/information/faq.php#17

Please let me know if I am wrong, but this tells me that adding the 3x1TB generic drives will not void the warranty.

Thanks!
Paul

Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

check the quick specification guide,

from this Proliant server, or check it on partsurfer from HP.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/

mikap
paul.hardwick

I've checked there, but it doesn't answer my question...

Is there a standard bay to insert a generic (seagate) SATA hard drive? and are there available SATA ports on the motherboard (Integrated RAID Controller)?

Thanks,
Paul
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

if you install nonSupported parts to the HP servers, the warranty is gone.

mikap
ElNumbre

I've not seen an ML370 G6, but you can get drive bays that mount in 5+1/4" bays and host several 3+1/2" drives (see IcyDock). I'm pretty sure I've also seen that HP offer SATA drive cages with a similar function.
Embrace the Penguin
paul.hardwick

Ok, thanks guys. I don't want to void my 3yr onsite warranty, so I'll make another plan and implement this after the warranty runs out if I still require it then.

Paul