ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geratric Proliant 1600 with heart trouble!

George Mason_1
Occasional Visitor

Geratric Proliant 1600 with heart trouble!

We have an old 1600 (dual Pentium Pros - yeah, THAT old!) which has developed something of a seizure. At apparently random intervals the machine hangs solidly (looks very low-level) when running Windows or within the diags on the utility partition. When it hangs, the activity lights on the drives in the disk array all light and remain lit.

I've reseated every piece of hardware in the machine, including the procs and RAM. I'm looking for inspiration rather than a concrete solution - does anyone have any suggestions for something I could try?

Any comments welcome...

... other than throw it in a skip!

Thanks.

George
2 REPLIES
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: Geratric Proliant 1600 with heart trouble!

Hi George,

There never was a Pentium Pro version of the Proliant 1600 to my knowledge. Do you mean the Proliant 2500, which looks very similar?

If so I have some troubleshooting information which should help but I will await your update rather than attach anything which might be unsuitable.

If you quote just the centre 4 characters of your serial number, the exact model can be determined. I.e, the serial number of your server will look like ABCCDDDDEEEE

A = Code for Manufacturing Plant
B = Year of manufacture
CC= Week code of manufacture

DDDD= Proliant Model
EEEE= Unique serial number off the production line.

Thanks,

Brian
Jeff ALLEN_7
Occasional Advisor

Re: Geratric Proliant 1600 with heart trouble!

George:
Whenever I get a 1600 hanging, refusing to boot and just being plain cantankerous, I go for the CPU and I/O cage centre connector. It's the PCB that they both plug into. As you plug them in, you'll see the PCB flex. Sometimes it doesn't make a good enough contact.
You can use a tool (screwdriver) to hold the PCB as you plug the CPU cage or I/O cage in, if you insert it through the hole (about 3/8" diameter) above the PCB and lever it towards the back of the machine. This is a lot easier to see in the rack-mounted machines.
Jeff.