ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753907 Members
8907 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Getting data off of Proliant 1850R

cmjb13

Getting data off of Proliant 1850R

Have a Proliant 1850R that was shipped to our office. The motherboard died and we had to move the drives to another Proliant 1850R. The server had Windows NT 4.0 on it. When booted, I get a "non-system or disk error". I was able to create a smartstart CD and boot from it and was able to get to the Array Configuration Utility.

Looking at it briefly, it shows the array as online with 3 drives. The options available were to create an array, delete an array, extend or migrate a logical drive. None of which I want to perform as I don't want to lose the data.The data on the drives look intact.

Is there any way to get the data off to an external drive or something similar?

Many thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Getting data off of Proliant 1850R

Moving drives from one 1850R to another should be fine. The drives MUST be put into the same position from which they were removed from the 1st system. If the DOA system had newer firmware on the Smart Array controller that could cause an issue. Try updating to the latest controller firmware for that system.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
cmjb13

They were put into the same position. I had to move the smart array controller with it as the spare machine didn't have one.
TTr
Honored Contributor

> Looking at it briefly, it shows the array as online with 3 drives

Are these the physical drives? What about logical drives? Do you see those as well?

Also check the BIOS for any settings as far as bootable array controller and the boot order/boot drives etc.
wobbe
Respected Contributor

try booting form a linux live cd and see if you can access the data.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Check boot order.

Is the SA set as boot controller?

Remove floppy disk from the drive.
Possibly remove CD from the drive.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Also
back in the stone age.

Recommandations, was to ensure that there were no configuration on a spare Smart Array, when you had to replace it.

So you might have to remove the drives (Server must be powered off).
Boot server on Smart Start CD.
OPen ACU and clear Configuration of the Smart Array.
Then power of and install disks.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo