1751691 Members
4786 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ghost 8, dl380 G3, and external USB burner

Jef_4
Advisor

Ghost 8, dl380 G3, and external USB burner

Has anyone gotten the DL380 G3's to recognize an external USB device to do direct imaging to CD/DVD using the recent versions of Ghost?

I can't seem to get Ghost to recognize the device, even tho on my cheapo whitebox test workstation, it sees an attached burner just fine - so I don't think the problem is with ghost.

I'm assuming there is some lack of proper USB support going on where Ghost can't properly talk to the USB device. I've tried several versions of the Ghost boot disk, based on suggestions from the Ghost manual - no go.

Anyone have this working at all? Or have any suggestions?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Jeff,
I have seen a USB issue similar to this in the past and it was eliminated by upgrading the system bios to the latest one. If you have not upgraded the BIOS then here is the link:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/19823.html

Regards,
Jef_4
Advisor

I upgraded the BIOS last week, but am still encountering issues. It's the 10-31-2003 version, and I am still encountering trouble.

The firmware updated, as the other features have appeared. Just seems that USB is still being a no show.

Not sure what else to look at, but thanks.

jef

Jeffery Smith_1

I was attempting to use a USB 2.0 Hard Drive and Ghost 8.0 to make an image of my server, but can't seem to get the USB Hard Drive to work from DOS.

I found this link that indicates USB devices such as this are not supported in this manner:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/platforms/usb-support.html

I have a DL380 G3. Can anyone confirm whether or not it is possible to use a local external USB Hard Disk and Ghost to image a server?
Glenn_74
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I am also after a USB supported Boot Disk for a DL380 G3 and a DL360 G3. I have tried the Ghost boot wizard with no luck. Anyone got a working boot disk?

Thanks
Jeffery Smith_1

I found that if you add a PCI USB card to a DL380 it will allow you to be able to use it with Ghost in DOS.

However, we found a new program to replace Ghost. It is called Acronis True Image and it works MUCH better. :)
Jef_4
Advisor

I should update this to say that we gave up on Ghost a while back as a solution. We were deploying Linux, and since Ghost supported it and we had a license, we figured we'd try it out.

Well, we found an imaging solution called SystemImager that does exactly what we need. From PXE booting to login prompt, we have a running (and properly configured) system in about 5 minutes (and most of that time is waiting for the HP to boot) :)