5063 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ghost Proliant Dl380G3 Smart5i array controller

Darrell Rudolph
Occasional Contributor

Ghost Proliant Dl380G3 Smart5i array controller

Good Morning,

Tech question for you. I need to rebuild a Raid 5 array on an HP DL380G3 server. I want to boot from a floppy and image to an IDE drive temporarily until I can rebuild the array and copy the image back.

I will be using Norton ghost for the images.

Do I need a dos driver for the smart5i array in order to access it for the image creation and replacement?

if so where can I find drivers.
10 REPLIES 10
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Re: Ghost Proliant Dl380G3 Smart5i array controller

Hello Darrell,

Not too sure if you could image from a scsi disk to an ide.

SRH
Darrell Rudolph
Occasional Contributor

Actaully only placing a copy of the image to IDE as the I need to take the SCSI drives offline to create a new Raid 5 array with proper block sizes (currently set to 16k)
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Is changing the stripe size the reason to backup/restore?

When you say placing a copy of the image to IDE, does it mean that you have already used a imaging software,created a backup and just want to copy the image file to the IDE disk?

SRH
Darrell Rudolph
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I have the server currently in operation. I want to take the current Raid 5 array and ghost it to a temporary diskdrive for backup. I then will recreate the array with a larger block size (prob 128K) and then restore the image back to the new array. Array size will be the same.

I was planning on using a DOS boot disk to do the imaging since I have ghost 8.2 on a floppy i use for desktop system imaging.

Has anyone tried this and made it work?
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Well, i have seen the dos driver for smart arrays and am looking for it(will take sometime though).

Btw,have you checked ACU and there's an option to change the stripe/block size to 128Kb which does'nt require a rebuild.

If its not just this,let me know what exactly it is.

SRH
NSK
Occasional Advisor

You dont need a driver for ghost to see the drives. As long as the BIOS can see them, ghost can also.

We ghost these drives all the time using a network boot floppy. The only driver we need is the NIC driver.
e4services
Honored Contributor

As far as I know you need the Smart drives for DOS to access the logical drive, to be loaded on the GHhost boot disk and Config.sys
Hot Swap Hard Drives
e4services
Honored Contributor

Darrell Rudolph
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the responces.

1. I have not checked the ACU, I will to see if it can be done.

2. I have been told that because ghost backsup the blocks, that when I do a ghost restore it will restonre the old block sizes as well. True or False?

3. Thanks for the DOS drives pointers.