New Discussion юеВ

Re: Gigabit NIC Problems on w2k error message "BASFND" failed to start

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stefan Groeschel
Frequent Advisor

Gigabit NIC Problems on w2k error message "BASFND" failed to start

Hi everyone,

I got an ML350G3 at customers side, where we are receiving 2 error messages. One says that this "BASFND" failed to start in systems-log and we are also having some error events 1010 which are saying that perflib.dll couldn??t collect data because IP-stack wasn??t loadet succesfully or something like that.
In fact we were installing this machine with smart start 6.1 plus w2k sp3.
It??s an Omniback Cell-Server with gatewayservices for Netware installed and also an client for Netware 5.1.
I??ve been already looking at the internet and found some unresolved problems similar to ours. All seemed to be a problem with these Broadcom Gbit-interface cards.

Thanx for every advice.

Stefan
7 REPLIES 7
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Is sp3 slipstreamed onto your Win2000 cd? Or was sp3 applied after you got the server up? "BASFND" is not a HP/Compaq file or service.

I would recommend applying Support Pack 6.1 or 6.2 again (or at least the nic drivers again).
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Stefan Groeschel
Frequent Advisor

Hi Terry,

I found on some newsgroups informations about other people having problems with Broadcom Gbit Nics and this sevice.
I really got no other idea where it??s from. I also receive some errormessages of the perflib.dll wich say that perfomrance data couldn??t be collectet because of an incomplete loaded IP-Stack ????

SP3 was aplied after installation.
Paul Chipelo

So far I have racked 5 new proliants 1 ML350G3, 2 DL380G3 and 2 DL580G2 all w/ the Broadcomm Integrated Gig Enet and all w/ the above mentioned problem. I have opened several calls w/ Compaq/HP and they stated that this is a know "issue" w/ the Broadcomm NIC's and the insight mgr agents. A "fix" was forthcoming w/ SupportPAQ 6.20, however after applying 6.2 still the same msgs in the event logs. I am going to try and re-apply SP3 to see if this will resolve the issue and keep you informed.

Thanks,
Paul
Neves Parrottino_1
Occasional Contributor

Hello News,

we have also some customers and the identical Problems.

I tried to workaround with the unlodctr/lodctr commands to unload/load the performance counters. It helps but it isn't persistent. When you reboot the machine the error log is full again.

Lets hope that Compaq supplies a fix.

Neves Parrottino
Andy R_1

Hello

I also posted a query on the message with the subject "DL380G3 and DHCP" earlier and think this might be related. I have been having the same problems as you guys describe with a clients DL380 G3 installed with W2K Small Business Server (SP3 included).

Now, I have a new problem been unable to to configure a static IP address on the cards. Shortly after I do, they end up as DHCP enabled, sometimes with an auto configuration IP address. I have tried uninstalling the NICs etc but hasn't worked. Getting desparate for a solution now!!!

BTW, I have also lost the "HP Teaming Facility" which appears under the services of the NIC. Could this be part of the problem? If so, how can I get it back.

Thanks for any help.
Neal Bowman
Respected Contributor
Solution

According to HP Global Services, this is a bug in the current version of q57w2k.sys, and should be fixed in the next driver update. Could be 2-4 weeks before we see it. Also, these errors are bogus, and harmless, other than adding entries to the System Event Log.

Issue is with current Q57 Win2K drivers (2.90). Bogus service leftover from Broadcom's base driver. Will be resolved in next release.
Neves Parrottino_1
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

some days ago i tried the following:

I removed the Teaming Utility and made an Update of the driver. I downloaded it from the Compaq Site. It is version 2.90 instead of 2.75. After the reboot the eventlog turned normal.

For me it helped.