cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gigabit cards

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Gigabit cards

I recently installed a NC3134 with the sole purpose of adding a NC 6132 gigabit adapter. I had 2 x 100 Compaq intel based adapters in the server to connect to the general network. I used the gigabit to connect a Network attached storage device from Network Appliances. This is back to back connection with the 7000 plugging straight into the gigabit card on the NAS. Initially the speed to the the NAS was quite fast (+20 MB/s) copying from the server to the NAS. Gradually the speed has decrease to about 2 MB/s. I noticed that when i installed the drivers for the gigabit cards that my original drivers and teams on the old Intel based cards disappeared. I then had to use the new team software that came with gigabit card to install the drivers and teams for the old 100 MB intel based compaq cards. Could this have caused the response problem between the 7000 and the NAS? I also had an IBM netfinity 7000 connected to the same NAS system using an Intel gigabit in the IBM. I had no problems whatsoever with this config.
2 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Gigabit cards

Most likely - When you re-installed the drivers did the performance go back to it's former higher speed?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Gigabit cards

We are seeing a similar thing on our Prolient 7000 and AS storage by Network Appliance. When we first installed the gigabit card we had fast transfers and as time progressed (next day) the transfer rate has dropped to less than through the 100mb link. We are running TN 4.0 SP5 with an Oracle 8i data base. We are being told it's the server. Anyone have any thoughts? Is there any tuning that need to be done to get the gigabit NC to consistently transfer data at a high rate?