ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753867 Members
7446 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Guidance for troubleshooting Proliant 1600 Boot problem

Tom Murphy_7

Guidance for troubleshooting Proliant 1600 Boot problem

I have a Proliant 1600 that is not passing the Power-On Self Test. When I power on nothing appears in the monitor display. The Compaq Server screen does not appear and the monitor goes into sleep mode.

I am not a harware troubleshooting expert. Can you please provide guidance on how I might proceed with troubleshooting this.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: Guidance for troubleshooting Proliant 1600 Boot problem

Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: Guidance for troubleshooting Proliant 1600 Boot problem

Tom,

Usually when a Proliant 1600 does this, the first question is "Were you installing or removing anything prior to the problem?", especially a DAT or DLT drive in the removeable storage area below the CD.

There is a small power signal cable that looks a bit like a cd-rom audio cable which has a habit of falling off when moved in any way. It attaches to the backplane where the processor and I/O cages slot into in the same area behind the CD.

If this is the problem you may notice the CD-ROM flashing every few seconds like it's in a power loop. Take the side cover off and look at the area below and behind where the CD-ROM is installed.

Check the following link for images so that you can eliminate this as the problem.

Follow KOV's advice and check the other examples of PL1600 issues if this is not the problem.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=600171

I hope this helps.

Brian