4399 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HBA, Proliant DL380G3 and StorageWorks SSL1016

Alexander Berardi
Occasional Advisor

HBA, Proliant DL380G3 and StorageWorks SSL1016

Hi !

I just recently bought a HP Proliant DL380G3 and a HP StorageWorks (SSL1016) and installed windows NT Server 4.0 (sp6a). I also bought BackupExec 9.1 with the Library Option Pack.
The harddrives (Ultra320) on the Proliant is set to SCSI-ID 0-5 (RADI 5), and the StorageWorks is set to SCSI-ID 6.

When i try and install the StorageWork SSL1016 it only shows up in BackupExec as a Single Compaq-device.

Someone recommend/told me that BakupExec do not support libraries on Raid controller. Furthermore it said that I should add a dedicated HBA for this to work.

My question is, what HBA should I choose? And
why should I choose the one you recommend - what is the advantage/disadvantage ?

From what I have found here is three scsi controller that can be used with the dl380g3:

64-Bit/133-MHz Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI Adapter 268351-B21

64-Bit/66-MHz Dual Channel Wide Ultra3 SCSI Adapter 129803-B21

64-Bit/66-MHz Single Channel Wide Ultra3 SCSI Adapter 154457-B2

/alexander

PS: Does anyone know why I cant use the External SCSI (VHDCI)-port that I have on the back side of the server?
3 REPLIES 3
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Alexander,

Here is a note on the Proliant DL380 G3 tape support using the integrated 5i+ controller.

NOTE: Tape Drive Support
The Smart Array 5i Plus in the DL380 G3 supports both hard drives and a single hot-plug tape drive on channel B. Neither channel supports tape libraries or autoloaders.

I believe this is because the 5i+ channels do not support devices which use multiple Logical Unit Numbers (LUN's) as some autoloaders use, where one SCSI ID is used for access, Drive (LUN0)and the robot (LUN1)or other variations etc. where multiple LUN's are used but with only one SCSI ID.

Also, here is the SSL1016 supported Proliant SCSI adapter list, which is almost the same as your list above.

154457-B21 - Single Channel 64-bit Wide U3
129803-B21 - Dual Channel 64-bit Wide U3
348757-B21 - 64-bit Dual Channel Ultra2

I hope this helps,

Brian
Alexander Berardi
Occasional Advisor

Thanks alot !!

Now I have something more to go furtheron.

I believe I will buy the "64-Bit/66-MHz Dual Channel Wide Ultra3 SCSI Adapter 129803-B21"-card afterall.

/alexander
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Since we have the optin have we tried to updated the firmaware for same. Because i face the same problem with Veritas 8.6 that it does not recognize Loader.So after updating the firmware it is working fine.

Other way before updatin ghte firmware try this is also

There are 2 power switches. One on the front, and one on the rear. Follow this procedure to bring the Autoloader to a READY state:

There are 2 power switches. One on the front, and one on the rear. Follow this procedure to bring the Autoloader to a READY state:

Power-up unit with the rear panel power switch and let Power On Self Test complete.
Hold in the round power switch on the front panel for 5 to 10 seconds - unit will power down.
Power-on using the front panel power button - the unit will now come up in a READY state and be available to the system after the server is rebooted.
Nothing is impossible