4683 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HD SATA SSD Samsung 850EVO 1T and HP Proliant dl360e G8

sirioinformatic
Occasional Visitor

HD SATA SSD Samsung 850EVO 1T and HP Proliant dl360e G8

Hi,

I have 6 disks SATA SSD Samsung 850EVO 1TB on my HP Proliant dl360e G8 but into the array configuration, I can see only sata on 3 and 4 bay. Why?

In slot 1 and 2 I have two SATA SSD 2.5inc 250GB and I have configured a RAID1 but on remaining slots (3-8) I can view unassigned drives only on 3 and 4 slots, nothing on 5-6-7-8!!!

Thank's

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

It depends on which controller you are using and what cabling is installed between the backplane and controller.  These notes from the Quickspec explain the configuration options.

NOTE: The DL360e ships standard with the HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller which provides support for up to 6 SATA drives (greater than 4 drives requires additional cable, PN 675856-B21) and data transmission speeds up to 3Gb/s. Customers requiring SAS support or greater than 6 drives should select either a Smart Array family controller or the SAS Riser FIO kit (PN 661387-B21) that includes HP Dynamic Smart Array B320i Controller Up to 8 SAS drives can be supported with HP Dynamic Smart Array B320i controller.
NOTE: When the SAS-enabled riser board with the Smart Array B320i controller is installed in the server, the embedded Smart Array B120i controller is automatically disabled. In the absence of another storage controller or an expander backplane, drives operate in ACHI or Legacy mode. In these two modes, the drives are not part of a hardware RAID or a member of a logical drive. The Locate, Drive status, and Do not remove LEDs in the drive carrier are disabled.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
sirioinformatic
Occasional Visitor

ok, I have the B120i controller. Which parts I must buy to handle 8 HD 2.5"?
ShruthiSK
HPE Pro

Hi, 

As mentioned by Jimmy previously, the below holds good and answers your query: 

1. HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller which provides support for up to 6 SATA drives (greater than 4 drives requires additional cable, PN 675856-B21) and data transmission speeds up to 3Gb/s.

2. Customers requiring SAS support or greater than 6 drives should select either a Smart Array family controller or the SAS Riser FIO kit (PN 661387-B21) that includes HP Dynamic Smart Array B320i Controller Up to 8 SAS drives can be supported with HP Dynamic Smart Array B320i controller.

Please let us know if you have any further concerns. 

Regards,

Shruthi (HPE Employee)

----------------

Was this helpful? Like this post by selecting the Kudos option below!

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo